Blue crayfish is pregnant. Eggs look more brown than black

Noob124

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2020
We thought it was Gary until I saw eggs under the tail. Gary was purchased about 3 weeks ago from a pet store. What are the chances of eggs hatching? I am trying to decide wether I need to separate her from everyone and what to do with all the babies if the do hatch...

F6D51F14-FBC8-49EB-B187-C70DC1FCA31E.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Believe fertilized eggs should get lighter in color. Was dark at some point. Brown isn’t uncommon.

Reactions: Noob124
What are the tankmates? In any case I'd definitely move the crayfish to a CYCLED tank with a hide and some rocks. Perhaps substrate as well.

kno4te kno4te it's the opposite way. Unfertilized are light.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
What are the tankmates? In any case I'd definitely move the crayfish to a CYCLED tank with a hide and some rocks. Perhaps substrate as well.

kno4te kno4te it's the opposite way. Unfertilized are light.
Thanks for the clarification.

Noob124

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2020
Ok then so just separate her from the babies once they hatch. Keep pristine water quality and feed the babies algae pellets.
Thank you. I really hope it’s a fluke and she is going through my-clock-is-ticking phase and no babies appear ?

Thank you. I really hope it’s a fluke and she is going through my-clock-is-ticking phase and no babies appear ?
They eggs are fertile, they almost always are. If you don't want to take care of the babies you could always just let her eat them

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store