Blue dolphin moorii growth rate?

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
Hey,

I got a new goup of 10 blue dolphin moorii cichlids and was wondering on the growth rates of these cichlids? This group of fish range from 1 inch to 2 inches each. Just added them in yesterday and they are already eating on the first day and seem to be pretty active. They are in a 180 gal tank in a community with other fish as well. I would like to breed these in the future so I'm hoping a group of 10 will hopefully get lucky and get a somewhat good male/female ratio? Is 10 enough for a good breeding group? I also have 2 slightly bigger ones at around 2.5inch to 3 inch from the LFS but those 2 don't really go with with the group. Any information would be appreciated thanks.

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Nice looking group of Blue Dolphins. Growth rates of any fish depends on genetics, diet, & environment. Over crowding & confined area will slow or hinder growth, so will rank in the heirarchy. The most dominant male will likely reach nine or ten inches, while the weakest male might not make it to seven inches.
A 180 gal. Is a good sized tank, but IMO, likely not suitable for ten full sized Blue Moorii. Be prepared to make stocking adjustments as things progess.

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
Thank you for all the great advice. I bought extra dolphins because I want to get a better chance of having a good ratio extra females and in case I get more than a few males and a problem fish that bullies everyone else.

I got these off a local breeder and I noticed they look even better and healthier than from the 2 LFS ones which are slightly bigger at 2.5 inches.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
Nice looking group of Blue Dolphins. Growth rates of any fish depends on genetics, diet, & environment. Over crowding & confined area will slow or hinder growth, so will rank in the heirarchy. The most dominant male will likely reach nine or ten inches, while the weakest male might not make it to seven inches.
A 180 gal. Is a good sized tank, but IMO, likely not suitable for ten full sized Blue Moorii. Be prepared to make stocking adjustments as things progess.
Did you have a group yourself? If so how long did it take for your group to reach maturity from around this size where you were able to sex them all? Around how big were you able to tell the difference between male/female?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks. The tank has a couple of female Haps & one female Peacock, the rest are males.
I've been pretty lucky selecting males from juvenile stock, but obviously made a few mistakes. Lol.

Machine 79

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
It's the great thing about this forum I was going to ask the exact same question, but there's already a thread. I've had my blue dolphin about 5 months and they are growing but not as fast as I had thought

IMG_20201205_170754838.jpg

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store