Blue-finned Convict Cichlid

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Thanks for the comments all.

Here is the first batch of juvies from this pair. Photo take nabout a week ago. Already showing good color and markings. Anybody in US interested in these let me know. I've got another spawn free-swimming as of today. The parents are ideal and are not aggressive toward each other at all. Great fish IMO.

View attachment 1418167
PM’d

Bearsjfk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2019
My first post here. I really enjoy this forum. Excellent content and the forum theme is great.

I recently acquired this pair of a blue-finned convict cichlid. They are of unknown province or location. Some well-respected and knowledgeable breeders have suggested they are a very clean form of A. nigrofasciata or A. siquia, not appearing to be a washed out HRP or hybrid HRP x nigrofasciata. I tend to agree. They have very good body form, markings and colors. There are in fact, in the wild, naturally occurring A. nigrofasciata (as identified by field researchers) with blue fins that are not HRP or hybrids, just naturally occurring color morphs. Here are some photos. Enjoy.View attachment 1418147

View attachment 1418148

View attachment 1418149

View attachment 1418150

View attachment 1418151

View attachment 1418152
Awesome Fish. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: tlindsey and Ekona

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
I had an accidental spawn between a pink and a black and they all turned out like that with the extra colors in the fins, especially the females. All the females from the batch turned out like the ones in the attached photo. Possible somewhere upstream in the lineage that could have happened? I've kept black cons in the past and hadn't seen that kind of coloring.

female con.jpg

Ekona

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 5, 2020
I had an accidental spawn between a pink and a black and they all turned out like that with the extra colors in the fins, especially the females. All the females from the batch turned out like the ones in the attached photo. Possible somewhere upstream in the lineage that could have happened? I've kept black cons in the past and hadn't seen that kind of coloring.
Thanks for your reply, Ozzie. Nice photo and good looking and interesting female. What did the males offspring of your mix breeding look like?

Anything is possible with the fish I have, since I know nothing about their lineage or province. Some say that unless a fish is from a known collecting locale and kept pure by breeders, then is it so be assumed they are hybrids, since apparently, all convicts other than pure locals, are assumed to have been mixed by keepers/breeders. Others, with top knowledge, field collecting experience and decades of keeping pure lines, suggest the ones I have are possibly a pure form of either nigrofasciata, siquia and a few have even suggested kanna. I tend to lean toward the fist two. It can equally be said that females from wild populations of all three species can show intense, bright colors in body and finnage, similar to yours and mine females.

But, again, without knowing for sure, it's all educated guesses at best.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Thanks for your reply, Ozzie. Nice photo and good looking and interesting female. What did the males offspring of your mix breeding look like?

Anything is possible with the fish I have, since I know nothing about their lineage or province. Some say that unless a fish is from a known collecting locale and kept pure by breeders, then is it so be assumed they are hybrids, since apparently, all convicts other than pure locals, are assumed to have been mixed by keepers/breeders. Others, with top knowledge, field collecting experience and decades of keeping pure lines, suggest the ones I have are possibly a pure form of either nigrofasciata, siquia and a few have even suggested kanna. I tend to lean toward the fist two. It can equally be said that females from wild populations of all three species can show intense, bright colors in body and finnage, similar to yours and mine females.

But, again, without knowing for sure, it's all educated guesses at best.
I have some photos on the computer at home. I'll dig in tonight and find some and post. I keep a few different strains and other than my siquia's and nanolutea's, as I know those are pure, I just play it safe and call them HRP Convicts. The blue's are beautiful, but still not 100% to possibly put false information out there. The platinum marble and calico, well that's kind of a given as to where they heck they came from...lol.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store