Blue Lobster

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
its a yabby but i have a difrent one than that i post pics but mines blue with purple

prawnman88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
arizona
cherax destructor perhaps from australia ? :screwy:

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
joeytoe said:
I used to catch Crayfish in a stream I live near an after acouple weeks of them being in a fish tank alotve them turn Blue. Ive seen them at LFS alot an would never buy one. Simply cause I know I could go catch acouple an after a few weeks I'll have one oe more.

Wow I almost bought a blue lobster from a LFS for $30 yesterday, could it be they are just crayfish??? I can catch crayfish anytime in the spring/summer but that would be wrong for them trying to sell it as a lobster. :swear:

Veneer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
Gamefishin said:
Wow I almost bought a blue lobster from a LFS for $30 yesterday, could it be they are just crayfish??? I can catch crayfish anytime in the spring/summer but that would be wrong for them trying to sell it as a lobster. :swear:
There is no such thing as a "freshwater lobster" - all creatures marketed as such are indeed crayfish.

CoverMe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
USA
Veneer said:
Said crabs require water of at least light brackish salinity in addition to a haul-out platform. That being said, an adult blue "lobster" of any species could easily kill and consume a red-claw, and the latter would likely pose a risk to juvenile crayfish.

Veneer, are you positive about the haul-out platform? Crays have gills beneath their carapace, and in my experience do not require any such platform (experience includes keeping, breeding, trapping, and using many many many of them in a university laboratory where they (procambarus clarkii) are used for Parkinson's research). Their carapace allows them to exit the water and keep their gills wet while temporarily out of water.

Just interested...

Veneer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
CoverMe said:
Veneer, are you positive about the haul-out platform?
I was writing for the specific crabs in question; you're correct about crayfish.

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
What else do you have in your tank with your crayfish? Most Cichlids like to eat them for snacks.... I had to remove mine when the shark ate one of them....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store