Blue Tilapia info please

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
Got this from lfs Tonight. I have never seen one before. Was labeled blue tilapia.
I was told they grow to about 8" max.

Can anyone tell me about this fish?

And do I have a male or female?

About 4.5", and looks blue to silver color depending on lighting.

Any information on there behavior and husbandry would be appreciated.

IMG_20200611_211242200.jpg

IMG_20200611_211231036.jpg

IMG_20200611_211225889.jpg

IMG_20200611_211202021.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Don't believe those google charts, below is a very old, line bred (for color) one, in a 300 gal tank its around 20 " (and because of age is very tall) there are pink, gold, platinum and very black varieties

In aqua-culture they often just make to dinner plate size.

And consider there are at least 100 separate species of Tilapines that look similar and very hard to tell apartsome bigger, some smaller.
Some are aggressive ,some peaceful, some tear up plants some don't.
Below zilliii.

Below young tanganykae

Although they are African they have been transplanted world wide, below a video in southern Mexico where they are common
Aktun Ha
below ....Here is one in canal just south of Sarasota Florida, looked to be about 15-18".

Last edited:

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
Are they personable?

Do they show a level of intelligence similar to larger central americans?

Anyone have a opinion?

Thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Although my cichlid focus has been Central Americans and Madagascans over the years, I have kept at least a half dozen species of Tilapines. I wouldn't consider any of the Tilapines to have anywhere near the personalities of the new world types, but that may be my own fault. It may be that if a certain Tilapine is kept alone with no other fish, and just its owner to relate to, that might change.
Even with new world cichlids, the more fish you add to a tank, it seems the less interested in outside stimulation they get
,Other than the photos of Tilapines above, here are some Tilapine I worked with.

Above Stomatepis pindu (left) and Daratherodon linnellii, right. (both from lake Barumbi mbo.

Above Alcolapia alcalicus found in the soda lake Natron (salinity higher than the ocean), with very hot water.

Above Coptodon bythobates found only in tiny lake Bermin.
Below Stomatepia marea, and Kona eisentraudti also only found in Lake Barumbi mbo.

Reactions: Milingu

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
Thank you for your insight. Appreciate it. The Coptodon bythobates is very colorful for the Tilapia I have seen thus far.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Although my cichlid focus has been Central Americans and Madagascans over the years, I have kept at least a half dozen species of Tilapines. I wouldn't consider any of the Tilapines to have anywhere near the personalities of the new world types, but that may be my own fault. It may be that if a certain Tilapine is kept alone with no other fish, and just its owner to relate to, that might change.
Even with new world cichlids, the more fish you add to a tank, it seems the less interested in outside stimulation they get
,Other than the photos of Tilapines above, here are some Tilapine I worked with.

Above Stomatepis pindu (left) and Sarotherodon linnellii, right. (both from lake Barumbi mbo.

Above Alcolapia alcalicus found in the soda lake Natron (salinity higher than the ocean), with very hot water.

Above Coptodon bythobates found only in tiny lake Bermin.
Below Stomatepia marea, and Kona eisentraudti also only found in Lake Barumbi mbo.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Thank you for your insight. Appreciate it. The Coptodon bythobates is very colorful for the Tilapia I have seen thus far.
The bythobates in the photo was in spawning (fry rearing ) color, so as in most cichlids, colors are heightened during that period.
Most of the time their normal coloration was much "less" intense, and closely resembled Coptodon zillii, which is thought tone their ancestor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store