Blue zaire moba, help please

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
I would think that they would start eating within the week. I hate to hazard a guess as to how long they could go.
Been over 3 days still won’t eat, tryied buying some blood worms just to soak the food in but still no luck, I’m going to try again tonight see if they will eat, fingers crossed

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Three days is not a big thing, for an otherwise healthy 3" cichlid. I would also stick to this: Only feed in AM when the fish is most hungry, and do not offer any other food.

It's too bad that the vendor in Germany only fed fresh/frozen food, as the collectors at the lake typically feed bulk commercial flake food, at least according to the vendors that I have corresponded with in the past. Same at Malawi. But I can understand their reasoning for doing so.

Do you happen to have any other tanks, perhaps a fish that is already eating pellets that could be added to the mix temporarily to show this young group how to get it done? This can be an effective method in training finicky fish. Monkey see monkey do sort of thing.

Reactions: neutrino

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
It's a simple matter that they've been spoiled, like a kid who gets candy and ice cream all the time and won't eat real food. Cyphoilapia can go a long time without eating and some get really stubborn about food. They may need to get good and hungry first.

If it was me I wouldn't feed every day, I'd go two three days and without feeding at all, let them learn food is not so readily available. Then introduce something dry, could be but doesn't have to be pellets just yet, could be freeze dried shrimps, mysis is good for growth. Then don't overfeed trying to make up for lost time, feed just a little or a moderate amount, not enough for them to be satisfied. Then wait at least another day or two, don't feed again the next day. Teaches them to feed when food's available.

Lot of people don't feed Cyphotilapia every day, anyway. Some feed only 2-3 times a week. You can feed more often in smallish or moderate amounts, but Cyphotilapia are not a high energy use fish and don't need as much food per their size as some other types.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store