BlueLine Trigger Tankmates

penngomifan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2007
USA CA
ok right now i have a 300 Gallon tanke with a 3 inch blueline by himself, now im thinking into the long run here, yes i know i might need to upgrade, anyways is there any other fish out there that can be tank mates with it??? besides other triggers, what kind of groupers can be kept with a 22 inch blueline trigger??? what grupers actually fight back ???? i know some are said to be aggresive but realy are not, just eat anything taht fits in there mouth?, so is there any other aggresive fish out there that can hold there on against a blueline bsides another trigger, ???? anyone???? anyways thx............ and sry about the spelling im in a hurry to type.........

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
Ide say most species of grouper would go ok with him. They def arent aggressive like triggers but if something annoys them they will fight back. Larger puffer species would probably go good. A big eel would probably be ok but you would have to watch it as some triggers and puffers like to pick at there tails. Larger species of dottyback and hawkfish. Bigger angels would be ok. And if it was my tank ide have alot of damsels and your tank is maybe big enough to get chromis to school so maybe a small school of them to although you would probs have to keep adding more as you lost them.

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
I agree with most of what chrisdef15 said. Puffers, angels, most groupers, large tangs, etc. should be fine. I would not waste money or space on damsel "snacks". Whatever you get, get it slightly larger than the blueline is now, and you should not have a problem. Fill the tank with as many fish as possible while respecting their need for swimming space. In this case, should the blueline (or some other future addition), be aggressive, one fish won't have to suffer the brunt of all attacks. -Andrew

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
blue lines can be pricks....

ChenBrasil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2006
brazil
Few fishes in the world would fight back a triggerfish attack , maybe some tangs will try to fight them back , but will always swim away... a grouper can handle a trigger because it will swim away , but will show up some aggressive behavior as open mouth, tail and spines straight up and etc...and they are also big fish , which impress any aggressive fish... Polleni grouper would be fantastic in your tank. As your tank have some open area, maybe you can try larger wrasses as slingjaw or maori to add some unusual fish in your set up... luck

mybikeisred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
Seaside, CA
Try a red emperor snapper. They get huge quickly. Mine shoves my puffer and my trigger around with his mouth. My only problem is making sure that the other fish get enough to eat. They are much more interesting than any grouper ive had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store