Born without a tail????

Kristanathaniel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2011
The Woodlands, Texas
Ok first of no we will not be breeding this fish. If it turns out to be a female it will go into the tropical tank and if it is a male it will go in my male tank. Besides I don't think another fish would chose to mate with a tail less fish over a normal one LOL. It was born like this it was not cause by an injury. It has no problems getting around or standing up for its self. It is currently in a 150 gal with 3- 6 in acei, 3- 4 in yellow labs, 3- 3 in yellow labs, 3- 3in Lions cove and a 4 in green terror (who does not live up to his name which is why he is in this tank) o I am not worried about anything eating it. I figure if they were going to they would have already done it.

Also I find OB Peacocks to be gorgeous looking fish. My husband is very against hybrids. If I get one it will be a male for my male tank. I would never sell this little fish I have become very attached to it. If I saw any aggression in its direction it would be placed into the tetra tank. This fish is purely a pet. I started this post to see if anyone else has seen anything like this. Also culling out to keep the best looking ones. No one is trying to breed show fish that and you need a lesson in dominant and recessive genes. A creature with recessive genes will produce offspring with a dominant gene creature that have all dominant genes.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
I don't see any reason to cull a handicapped fish that can enjoy a reasonable quality of life, which is every person's personal choice in deciding what that quality life is.
i agree ...

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Ok first of no we will not be breeding this fish. If it turns out to be a female it will go into the tropical tank and if it is a male it will go in my male tank. Besides I don't think another fish would chose to mate with a tail less fish over a normal one LOL. It was born like this it was not cause by an injury. It has no problems getting around or standing up for its self. It is currently in a 150 gal with 3- 6 in acei, 3- 4 in yellow labs, 3- 3 in yellow labs, 3- 3in Lions cove and a 4 in green terror (who does not live up to his name which is why he is in this tank) o I am not worried about anything eating it. I figure if they were going to they would have already done it.
Also I find OB Peacocks to be gorgeous looking fish. My husband is very against hybrids. If I get one it will be a male for my male tank. I would never sell this little fish I have become very attached to it. If I saw any aggression in its direction it would be placed into the tetra tank. This fish is purely a pet. I started this post to see if anyone else has seen anything like this. Also culling out to keep the best looking ones. No one is trying to breed show fish that and you need a lesson in dominant and recessive genes. A creature with recessive genes will produce offspring with a dominant gene creature that have all dominant genes.
well said and explained... keep us updated on the little tailess fish... i hope it continues to do well.. i had a angel spawned that would sometimes just lie on the bottom of the tank... when i dropped food in .. it would try to get up ..took a few moments and then it would come to the top and eat like the others.. and then eventually had to lie down again.. lived for a few years exactly like this..but eventually it did pass.. but yes it was my special fish.. they are survivors against the odds.. so it does make them special..

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
First off I wish to say, What a person does with their tanks in their home is no ones else business. If you wish to breed, keep or do what ever and it makes you happy then do so. I do believe you should be honest about selling any fish. Hybrids are definately in demand, so there is no need to hide the truth anymore. I grew up as a runt and heard the abuse personally. So I always have a soft spot for any fish that has been dealt the short straw, I will never cull a fish.........EVER!!

The fish the OP has posted is nothing like mine. This fish I believe was caused by a lack of cells or damage done to the egg causing the lack of development in its tail area. There is no reason to believe it will die, but it is very common it could have unforseen issues. I do not believe in culling fish because another person thinks it needs to die. Bottom line is the fish is in this persons tank and if you do not agree with how they keep their tanks then go work on your own and don't read the thread again. I assure you anything said on a post will do only one thing. Cause this or more people to raise fish like this is secert to avoid the public harrasment causing more unknown knowledge. I have a thread on here with the finds of the fish I have, feel free to read it. But No I will not post about my fish on another persons thread, that is disrespectful to the OP.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
First off I wish to say, What a person does with their tanks in their home is no ones else business. If you wish to breed, keep or do what ever and it makes you happy then do so. I do believe you should be honest about selling any fish. Hybrids are definately in demand, so there is no need to hide the truth anymore. I grew up as a runt and heard the abuse personally. So I always have a soft spot for any fish that has been dealt the short straw, I will never cull a fish.........EVER!!

The fish the OP has posted is nothing like mine. This fish I believe was caused by a lack of cells or damage done to the egg causing the lack of development in its tail area. There is no reason to believe it will die, but it is very common it could have unforseen issues. I do not believe in culling fish because another person thinks it needs to die. Bottom line is the fish is in this persons tank and if you do not agree with how they keep their tanks then go work on your own and don't read the thread again. I assure you anything said on a post will do only one thing. Cause this or more people to raise fish like this is secert to avoid the public harrasment causing more unknown knowledge. I have a thread on here with the finds of the fish I have, feel free to read it. But No I will not post about my fish on another persons thread, that is disrespectful to the OP.
i agree...

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
I don't understand what's all this fuss about hybrids when u have all those deformed blood parrots and flowerhorns in almost every lfs. As long as a hybrid is clearly stated as a hybrid i don't see anything wrong with it.
About the OP's tail less fish, if it's having a normal life I don't see a reason why should it be culled. Clearly the OP wants the fish. I don't see anything wrong with breeding it either, if it produces tail less fish, it's obvious and those who like it will buy it, those that don't like it won't buy it end of story. If it produces regular offspring then everything is good.
I agree with Alton what one does with his tank and his fish is no one elses business. The OP asked if anyone have seen a fish being born like this, and not what kind of offspring will it have if breed nor for oppinions if she should keep it or not.
Just answer the question if you wanna be helpfull and if u don't like the subject don't answer with a completely different topic.
About the OP's question, I've never seen a fish born without a tail, but in my opinion it could either be a genetic deformity or a fetus injury during development stages.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
All the fuss is because if I am to buy parrots or flowerhorns or ob peacocks(I have 2), I know I have bought hybrids; but some hybrids are not so easy to tell.

Yes, I am of the same opinion that people can/should do whatever they want in their own tanks. It is only of concern when the genetic experiments go beyond their tanks. Anyway, no matter what the opinion is, no one is going to reach across the screen and cull a fish that the tank owner will not have culled.

I am still curious why a missing tail, if genetic and not an injury, not passable...even if the offspring appears normal, any line breed effort would
have higher instances of genetic defect.

Just as aside, it pays to not take everything personally. It is a LONG way from someone saying cull runts(a VERY common practice, I myself use the Oscar method) to calling someone a runt as an insult.

Kristanathaniel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2011
The Woodlands, Texas
I am not sure about in-breeding. When I bought the female she was already holding. She was in a tank with about 6 males and 8 females. So in-breeding could be a possibility.

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
Inbreeding is always a possibility, Inbreeding occurs even in the wild to some degree. I believe you would have seen more then one if this was the case. I would not believe this to be the cause. Just my opinion

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store