Boulengerela Cuvieri (Bicuda)

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
Anybody keeping these? Any large ones out there? I know people have Chinese Tigers which look similar but I wanted to know if anybody has these and if so what their bahavior is like. I know Wes from Rare Fish had one a while back if I'm remembering correctly but that's the only one I can recall someone having.

image.png

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I was going to post a thread on these too asking the exact same! Theyre a very neat looking fish and i don't think they get the attention they deserve!

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Delhezi B has/had one. They appear to be incredibly rare, and pretty skittish. I don't think many people are able to properly house one of these guys, they appear somewhat fragile.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
I have one, took a while to get it off live. Can't trust it with slender bodystyle tankmates. I lost red & yellow tail barracudas which were only 1" or 2 " shorter to the bicuda. It can also take in large shiners that ends up stretching out it's stomach.

Reactions: arowanaryan

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not too many large ones around. Their needs are high and warrants lots of space.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
They appear to be similar to the payara in care - pretty open tank, with little to no structure for them to bump into. Lots of water movement and lots of dissolved oxygen. Looks to be a very messy eater, so large, frequent water changes would be a good idea, they don't seem too tolerant of poor water conditions. Looks to be a very skittish fish, covering the tank and perhaps the back and sides would likely help. This fish has been recorded up to 26", but looks like it could easily grow to 32" under the right conditions. They seem to be relatively peaceful fish, and adapt to aquarium foods pretty well.

I would imagine they are actually close to the indo-pacific tarpon in care, or the goliath tigerfish - I don't think I know of many people who have any kind of tigerfish that's over 3 feet or so long. The minimum tank size for a massive goliath tigerfish appears to be around 250-300 square feet, and round looks to be better than a rectangular tank. So I don't think many people are/will be successfully keeping this species privately :p

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store