Bowfin Species Profile

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
deworm them and treat them for any parasites. then give them cover and ample space. if you are interested i have some already acclimated and off live foods for sale.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Just picked up my first two today. Male around 20" and a female around 24". Currently in with the gator gars in the 600.
Grocery store lol? Got my 18" one for 4 bucks, I tried to pick the smallest. Mine is very mellow, apart from a bit of squabbling with the African aro.

Cheesetian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
Any preference regarding water temperature? I'm waiting for some to come in before i decide whether to get one or not but i've heard they need cooler water to do well. What about temperatures of 28-30 degrees C?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
mine are at 80f. they will do well at similar temps as gar. both will/can live in small streams and lakes that get hot in the summer and almost frozen solid in the winter.

zimmermanst

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
ohio
Where I'm from some people call them "Grendels." Ive caught them while fishing before and thought it would be sweet in my tank, Just from the dozen or so ive caught while fishing ive seen at least 5 color variations. Very cool fish though, when i first saw it i thought i had caught a rainbow snakehead, i was sadly mistaken though

bookworm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2011
Texas, U.S.A
There are Bowfin down here too, they aren't just a northern fish. But they are hard to find, they are mostly in east Texas, but I think they are protected and you require a permit for one in this state I believe.

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Great write up Ryan and great info guys.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
one thing i am noticing with mine is that they become fiercely territorial. they are cool with most of the fish they are with, but if anything new come in it gets shredded. one of my dominate females even will attack the algae magnet.

also a cool behavior is that they death roll! i was feeding some squid and 5 grabbed a mouthful. then they all simultaneously death rolled. they have been doing this at every feeding if i drop a larger piece in. makes one hell of a mess in a sand bottom tank though...lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store