Bowfin: then and now

Mikefallen13

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Probably one of my favorite fish ever, got him in March of 2016 at about 2" now he's probably pushing a foot. I really like the scribbled markings down his sides, they appear to be getting more pronounced as he grows. Mine has been a fairly slow grower, even being fed every other day, but hey, no complaints here!

April, 2016
bowfin by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

And today (sorry about the glare)
20180211_152552 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

The funny thing is, despite his size, he's a big baby. Never shown any signs of aggression to any of the tankmates he's been housed with and was actually getting pushed around by some 3.5" sunfish when I had him in a 55 gal growout lol. So needless to say, they shouldn't be housed with anything aggressive or they will likely become stressed out in short order. He's now happily living with a group of 3 Florida gars, all of whom pay the bowfin no attention at all.

I was able to get him to take FT fish chunks since day 1, which was quite nice compared to my gars that still refuse anything but live minnows. Just a tip, be careful if you try to hand feed, those teeth are no joke... trust me lol. It has been worth the risk, though, as now he will swim right up when I approach the tank.

Bowfin are very underrated fish IMO

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
What a beauty! I agree that bowfin are very underrated, and yours is definitely among the nicest ones I've seen.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Very nice. I've always wanted to grow out a small bowfin. Never had the opportunity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store