Boy -vs- Girl ID in Silver Dollar

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Q: in "typical" SDs, does the male have the clean, flat silver & red anal fin or does the female?
Sorry, I've no energy to look up the species just now... :)

I'm sitting here watching the thunder & thinking about packing-up to leave office for the day, & watching what looks like pairing (spawning?) behaviour. In both pairs, the one with the mid-body spot & no red is the notable aggressor.
The third silver-with-red is looking a little 5th wheel...

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Short answer - Female has "the clean, flat silver & red anal fin".
The male has more of a bi-lobed anal fin.

Not true of red-hooks, where the female is the only with the long red hook.

Longer answer - There is no "typical SD's" . In the lesser SD's (Metynnis), there are ~ 16 species, 4-5 frequently seen in the hobby. And then there are 2-3 other genera, with various species, which are seen as well.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I appreciate that the "typical" was being a little ignorant - apologies. I can look up and/or send pics, but I think you've answered my question already. One of these males started with a distinct pointed red fin (IE: fem) but changed - I discussed in a previous thread.

I'd love to get a spawn out of them, but between the RBS, ABK, MTS & others, I'd not expect success. This is part of why I'm quietly letting the bottom get "cluttered" with bamboo & moss & almond leaves in various states of decay. Doing/allowing same in the tank with the zamora cats, which is otherwise swordtails & snails feeder-breeder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store