BP and Blue Acara stocking

leonardotmnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2019
Hi all,

I'd like to set up a 75g tank with a Fluval FX 4 or FX 6. Initially I thought about going with a tetra community tank but I think I'd like something with more personality. I've read that Blood Parrots can fit that need. I also love the look of the Acara. Would this stocking work?

1 BN Pleco
14 Sterbai Cory
8 Boesmani or Turquoise Rainbows
1 Blue Acara or EBA
1 BP

Thanks!

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
It will probably be fine. Just depends on the individual cichlid. IME BP's can be wildcards. Some are pretty easy going and some are straight up jerk faces. I don't like keeping cichlids in groups of 2 unless it's a mated pair situation because one usually becomes dominant. How dominant is up to the individual breed and BP's can become pretty aggressive. If it were me, I'd probably do a pair of EBA/Blue Acara and the BP.

Reactions: Zanzag

leonardotmnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2019
I wouldn't mind a second Acara if that'd be better. Should I try to get a male and female? Is it possible to sex them if they're young?

Will these cichlids most likely be fine with three corys and rainbows then?

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
3 Corydoras? I'd do more. I've never kept BPs with corydoras so i can't comment on that but the acaras will likely be fine with them.

Usually the best would be to get 4 or 5 juvenile acaras and wait until a pair forms and rehome the rest to ensure you have a male/female.

leonardotmnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2019
Sorry. That was supposed to be me asking if they'd be fine with the corys and rainbows. I was going to get 12-14 corys.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Blue acara are fine with bigger Cory's. I'll occasionally find a bitten tail fin on my columbian tetra or Cory's and I assume one of my acara pair is to blame. I wouldn't see too big of an issue with a pair being able to handle a BP if it decided to be a jerk.
A Male blue acara could probably be okay as well. My male takes charge of my tank pretty well.20190930_162959.jpg

Last edited:

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Zanzag Zanzag love your standard blue acaras. They seem impossible to find these days except for electric blues

leonardotmnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2019
So 1 male or buying a few to get a m/f pair should be okay? I wasn't sure if 2 acaras would be okay initially because of the ratios of cichlids to rainbows. Do you think they'll get along okay?

Aqadvisor says I'd need to change over 50% of the water each week. Is that figure probably accurate or does it depend more on nitrate levels?

Beautiful fish btw!

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about the ratios of cichlids to rainbows. Long term goal is to have 1 or 2 acaras and a blood parrot for cichlids. Rainbows you do want to make sure you have either equal number of males to females or more females than males. Some of the males can get a little feisty so you want that aggression spread out amongst the females.

Water changes depend on nitrates. I routinely change 60-75% of my water every week regardless though

Reactions: Zanzag

leonardotmnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2019
Sounds good. Thank you! I was just surprised by the wc amount because most places seem to say 20-25% a week is normal.

In the end I just want to make sure I get a tank where everything is likely to get along. I know the cichlids might be hit or miss depending on individual personality though.

Anything I should look for when picking three individual ones out? Or is temperament hard to tell until they're older and in with their new tankmates?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store