Brachyplatystoma capapretum new pick up

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Cool. In my book, you have seriously lucked out and got a true piraiba aka B. filamentosum (12' max) and not the false piraiba aka B. capapretum (4' max).

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Awesome find comrade :popcorn:

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Lovely specimen. Thank you for sharing.

Pier Aquatics is a famous place and I'd normally trust their ID. (Is the guy's name Neil?)

But this strikes me as the true piraiba in the body and head shape. The spots on capapretum at that size are significantly bigger and fewer than this fish displays.

We on MFK, as a community at large, have learned of the difference between filamentosum and capapretum and how to ID relatively recently, within the last 5 years.

I could be wrong still. I wish others chimed in to help you (which you may not need), Daz, and me. GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 Rpul Rpul vincentwugwg vincentwugwg H HELIOX fishtankphil fishtankphil Tripletail Tripletail

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Lovely specimen. Thank you for sharing.

Pier Aquatics is a famous place and I'd normally trust their ID. (Is the guy's name Neil?)

But this strikes me as the true piraiba in the body and head shape. The spots on capapretum at that size are significantly bigger and fewer than this fish displays.

We on MFK, as a community at large, have learned of the difference between filamentosum and capapretum and how to ID relatively recently, within the last 5 years.

I could be wrong still. I wish others chimed in to help you (which you may not need), Daz, and me. GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 Rpul Rpul vincentwugwg vincentwugwg H HELIOX fishtankphil fishtankphil Tripletail Tripletail
Very nice fish and great spotting on him. As far as its specie it looks more like a capa then piariba. I find that piariba has a longer snout the capa(motas) but i could be wrong too...lol. time will tell what u truly have but if they said its a capa then most likely it is but I've been wrong before.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store