Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii aka dorado catfish, 4"

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice looks great! Unfortunately lost one of mine but the other is doing well
Thank you. Sorry to hear. Do you know why? At what size? Would you please describe what happened in your dourada thread, if you willed?

I love those videos, Viktor. Are you open to allowing visitors?
Thank you, Boss. To select few. I gotta finish my last tank, 10K, before reapplying for my Certificate of Occupancy. At present, this is the only big thing standing between us and the opening to public at large.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thank you. Sorry to hear. Do you know why? At what size? Would you please describe what happened in your dourada thread, if you willed?

Thank you, Boss. To select few. I gotta finish my last tank, 10K, before reapplying for my Certificate of Occupancy. At present, this is the only big thing standing between us and the opening to public at large.
Love it!

Once you're open, please let me know. I show my son your videos pretty frequently, and he'd like to come see (and maybe his daddy, too ?)

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ

Poor tankmate choice. His tail got bit and he flipped out and nailed his head on the glass and got stuck in a large pvc tube. Tried to nurse him back but failed. He was a thick 8-9 inches

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
:( Yeah, this sounds about right. That's similar to how I lost several too. They are so skittish and touchy. They have to be either alone or with the meekest of tank mates. I've learned this hard way.

They also need larger tanks. Mine at a bit under 18" seems uncomfortable in a 240 gal 8x2x2. Definitely wants to swim more and less restricted.

For the past couple of months almost never ate and was swimming either against the current or vertically in a corner. Almost felt like he was migrating somewhere in his head. I assume it is the age and the season for them to migrate.

Now it is starting to feed better and less prostrate swimming.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Still ... prostrate swimming in one spot, even in a vertical or semi vertical position, or against the glass continues, albeit it feeds ok too. It definitely feels like it needs a much, much bigger home, perhaps better with non-transparent walls, which I don't currently have for it given it can only live with the meekest of tank mates.

If I transfer it to any of our communities, I am 100% sure it will be killed or kill itself given this is how I lost about half a dozen of them before through the years.

A hard, hard fish to house for a hoarder. Double whammy as they are so striking and unique in their cast metal appearance.

Around 18".

(Currently the bump on the nose is 5x bigger from rubbing and bumping :( )

100_9072.JPG100_9073.JPG100_9074.JPG

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Still ... prostrate swimming in one spot, even in a vertical or semi vertical position, or against the glass continues, albeit it feeds ok too. It definitely feels like it needs a much, much bigger home, perhaps better with non-transparent walls, which I don't currently have for it given it can only live with the meekest of tank mates.

If I transfer it to any of our communities, I am 100% sure it will be killed or kill itself given this is how I lost about half a dozen of them before through the years.

A hard, hard fish to house for a hoarder. Double whammy as they are so striking and unique in their cast metal appearance.

Around 18".

(Currently the bump on the nose is 5x bigger from rubbing and bumping :( )

View attachment 1416836View attachment 1416837View attachment 1416838

I agree not an easy fish to house at all. Especially with other fish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Reactions: celebrist
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com