Bracing/Trim/Frame

Tskstorm

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
Pocono's
Picked up a used Marineland 300 gal, 72L x 36W by 27 tall, Previously the front glass was replaced, the silicone seams look like absolute garbage, and I will likely be resealing the tank, however, The brace is broken off and frame is broken and cracked in different places.

Looked into Eurobracing, and for the glass needed its easily over $500 in glass. Contacted Marineland who doesn't sell frames directly to the consumer, and every store I have contacted has no way of ordering the frame either.

Any suggestions on DIY bracing? Local Store said to just take a metal bar and bend the ends to make sure the glass doesn't bow.

Thanks,

Pics to follow if needed.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
pics please.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
thats a rebuild sir. you can try a reseal, 2 dif things, depending how good you want it to look, can use a bar clamp for a brace. this tank does not look good. but after being cleaned up and a good pic of the glass joins you will have a better ideal of what you are dealing with.

Tskstorm

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
Pocono's
thats a rebuild sir. you can try a reseal, 2 dif things, depending how good you want it to look, can use a bar clamp for a brace. this tank does not look good. but after being cleaned up and a good pic of the glass joins you will have a better ideal of what you are dealing with.

Sorry for my poor wording, the front side of the tank was completely broken, and at some point it was replaced/rebuilt. I think the plan is to take off that front piece, and to redo it. the rest of the seams look to be in much better condition. I will get it cleaned up, and post new pics.

Are we just talking about a regular bar clamp from a hard ware store? I can't imagine that looks too aesthetically pleasing.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no not look good but will do the job. Personally I would rebuild or have some one do it.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
lots of good DIY vids on both, tho none on a tank that big.

Tskstorm

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
Pocono's
lots of good DIY vids on both, tho none on a tank that big.

Theres no one in the area who does the work, so it will be a DIY project.

Any tips on the rebuild? Just redo the 1 side or redo the entire tank? I know I'm going to use momentive rtv103, replacing one side should be a relatively easy project, just removing old silicone running new seams and clamping in place?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store