Brackish Frogs

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Has anyone ever kept the Crab-eating frog?

Never heard of em before but it does say on the wiki page that they only tolerate brackish water for extended periods of time not that they can solely live in it. So if ya plan on getting some I would recommend using freshwater instead. Think of em kind of like bull sharks, yes it can tolerate freshwater for quite a while but it must return to saltwater eventually otherwise it will die.

I will say tho they would make for some neat pets with their unusual eating habits. Hopefully someone who has personal experience with these chimes in and educates us both on these weird lil guys.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Would also not keep in brackish, seems like more of a temporary thing to find food since it has to tinker its osmotic balance to do so.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Never heard of em before but it does say on the wiki page that they only tolerate brackish water for extended periods of time not that they can solely live in it
The article states that their normal environment is the mangrove, i.e. brackish, with excursions into full strength marine.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
The article states that their normal environment is the mangrove, i.e. brackish, with excursions into full strength marine.
It also says that they also live in marshes which are fresh water. Also it says and I quote, "This frog can tolerate marine environments (immersion in sea water for brief periods or brackish water for extended periods)" meaning it can't strictly live in brackish waters. Just like how the bull shark can tolerate fresh water for a extended period of time but it must return to full salt water in order to survive.

Look, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting one of these frogs or more but they do need to be kept in fresh water if you want to see them die of old age rather then forcing them to do something their bodies can't handle. You can still feed em crustaceans and the like without them needing to be in brackish water. There are plenty of fresh water crustacean species out there that are very readily available to buy and would make for a wonderful food supply.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
It also says that they also live in marshes which are fresh water. Also it says and I quote, "This frog can tolerate marine environments (immersion in sea water for brief periods or brackish water for extended periods)" meaning it can't strictly live in brackish waters. .
Generally speaking, marshes are lowland areas subject to tidal action, i.e. they become more saline during high tide and less saline during low tide, but they are essentially brackish. That's not to say that these frogs cannot inhabit freshwater. However, the level of osmotic stress, if any, would be minimal in salinities of 9ppt or less.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store