Brackish tank questions

Gage.999

Feeder Fish
Jun 15, 2021
Hello everyone ?? I was wondering a few things because I’m about to setup a brackish tank. It’s a 55 gallon tank and I’m wondering how much salt should I add? What other type of brackish fish can I keep with a Dragon Goby, Guppies and Swordtails? Can betta fish live in a brackish tank?

Gage.999

Feeder Fish
Jun 15, 2021
Thank you, I’ll research those fish. I’ve had saltwater and freshwater tanks but this will be my first time with a brackish tank and I’m trying to learn as much as I can. The thing I’m trying to make sure of the most is having the right amount of salt.

Gage.999

Feeder Fish
Jun 15, 2021
Thank you. I will just keep the Betta in the freshwater tank I have it in. I’m gonna order one of those when I order the salt and stuff I need. I haven’t ever mixed salt before even when I had my saltwater tanks so I wanna make sure I do it right.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Get a refractometer so you don't have to make the salinity guesswork. reed fish, rope fish, golden top minnow. (disclaimer, I have never kept any of these fish, do your own research)
Ropefish venture into brackish water but really shouldn't be kept in brackish permanently. If you do they will have a shortened lifespan. I've had ropes for years and currently own 14. I'm no expert but I've done lots of research.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Thank you, I’ll research those fish. I’ve had saltwater and freshwater tanks but this will be my first time with a brackish tank and I’m trying to learn as much as I can. The thing I’m trying to make sure of the most is having the right amount of salt.
What about puffers? Leopard or figure 8

Reactions: Gage.999

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Ropefish venture into brackish water but really shouldn't be kept in brackish permanently. If you do they will have a shortened lifespan. I've had ropes for years and currently own 14. I'm no expert but I've done lots of research.
+1 I own 1 rope fish and mine cannot tolerate salt at all. I added a bit to the tank to treat ich a while ago and it started floating to the top but still acted normal. Don’t know if it had to do with salt but after a couple water changes he went back to normal after a couple days. In my experience ropefish are EXTREMELY sensitive to water quality

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Weird. My ropefish has never really given me any problems when it comes to salt and water quality. Always has seemed pretty hardy to me.
As far as I am aware ropes should be fine in brackish for life.
I’m a big brackish person myself and as others have said, I would get a refractometer, keep saline depending on the species you are getting. I would personally not recommend CB swordtails or gupps for brackish as they tend to be fragile for whatever reason, I much prefer sailfin mollies. Green Scatophagus are a favorite of mine and I have grown out several in 55gals over the past few years.

If you’re interested in a cool species, I have a trio of Fundulus grandis that are awesome to watch, very large killifish.

Reactions: Gage.999
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store