Brackish Tank Setup - Written by Sploke

kendall5908

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
I have a 20 gallon for 2 red-claw crabs and i enjoy having a brackish tank. Its perfect cause there unique species.

Lissaspence

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
Illinois
I'm debating on making a brackish tank so this was very informative! Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

redheadedmommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
mo
would using a marine mix be a short cut to add salinity to your tank? how does it work.. ?(EX. 4 cups of marine mix to 2 gallons of water = 1.024 SG?)

could you please explain Specific Gravity in simple terms.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
so how much salt per gallon to get the 1.008 or around that? cause i want plants for my brackish tank(java moss and java fern). it will have bumblebee gobies and a halfbeak

Eveready

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2009
Joplin,MO
I am considering my options.
Currently planning on making a 720 gallon tank, 80% full(575 gallons water).
I absolutely want Scats, Monos and Archers.
But could I also add Dragon Gobies and/or Columbian shark?
Would all these species cohabitate without problems ?
How many of each would be a good mix?
I plan on using mangroves as well.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Plants

There are a variety of plants that will do well in low-end brackish. I have not had success with anything much above 1.008. Java fern and java moss both will do well. Some species of vallisneria will also thrive. For a more exhaustive list, look here.
Your link to the list of plants didn't work.

I agree that salinity has to be kept at the low end to keep aquatic plants. Some of the ones that have been shown tolerate salt include certain types of Myriophyllum and Jungle Vallisneria. Also Soft Hornwort (Ceratophyllum submersum) seems to tolerate some salt compared to the more common hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) which does not tolerate much salt at all.

Widgeon Grass and Shoal Grass are found in estuaries, and they have wide salinity tolerance. Unfortunately, they are hard to find, and they are considered protected species:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store