Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Skats are a great brackish fish, but they get quite large.

Dragon/violet gobies are also a brackish fish, but, again, they get rather large.
For a 99gallon, one of these would be fine for a LONG time. Cool creatures!

Reactions: tlindsey

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Monos are a great choice. Scats have already been said but they are cool as well. There are a lot of goby options. I assume you don't want mudskippers or anableps but it is hard to talk about brackish tanks without them. Mollies are a great choice though many people feel they aren't exciting enough. Colombian sharks are another option.

Archers have been mentioned and to me that is an amazing choice. Research has shown they can identify 77 human faces. I love mine they always pay attention to what is going on outside the tank and if they want more food they spit at me. They don't just follow anyone who walks up to the tank either.
Funny, my archer did the same to me- until I lidded the tank. He would get my attention by squirting me and swimming awy!

Reactions: J. H.

LucasOfishkeeper

Feeder Fish
Oct 7, 2017
Yeah, get a dragon/ violet goby. May be some type of eel? I know gymnothorak tile (freshwater moray eel) does very well in brackish. Hard to care for though...

Maybe get some glass fish? They do well in brackish tanks.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Funny, my archer did the same to me- until I lidded the tank. He would get my attention by squirting me and swimming awy!
You have to post a video of that . :)

Maybe get some glass fish? They do well in brackish tanks
If you mean those 'indian glass fish', like this:
upload_2017-10-8_22-54-17.jpeg(not my picture), in my experience, they are very small and are always the first fish to be eaten when someone gets hungry, even if they aern't the smallest fish in the tank.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Anableps and Mudskippers are awesome. And that tank would be great for them. Based on your question, I assumed you wanted a full tank with fish swimming through the entire column. Many people get dissatisfied with the paludarium.

I loved my mudskippers while I had them. If I were doing it over again I would like to try anableps, and see if I could spawn them. They can recognize you as well and will come up to sun themselves. They are a really cool fish. I haven't seen them in years though.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep27523
Here is the article. I read it a couple of years ago it looks like I got some details mixed up in my memory. They discriminated a novel face from 44 other faces with 77-89% accuracy. Sorry for the confusion, but still very impressive.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I want a brackish tank with archer fish, i am thinking 1.005 salinity.
FISH I DO NOT WANT:
Puffers

the tank is 99 gallon so what good looking fish can be in brackish water?
Swoll929 Swoll929

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store