Brackish to Salt inquiry

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
Ok so the breakdown of my fish in the 75 Gallon are on my signature.

I brought up my SG to 1.023. My substrate is crushed coral. Running an Eheim 2217 with the Rena Air pump.

I am thinking about throwing in some cured live rock in the tank.

For now due to back pocket issues, I am skipping out on the protein skimmer until further notice.

Question 1: When I throw in the cured live rock, is there anything special that needs to be done to the rock prior to just dumping it in?

Question 2: Keeping in mind the current stock I already have in my 75 Gallon tank, could I pull off a Porc Puffer or a Dog face puffer? Could I throw in a Niger Trigger or a Clownfish? Any inverterbrates or clean up crew that can live with my current stock?

If so, do I stick to using the drip method?

If no, what are some kool alternative salt water fishes that could live peacefully with my current stock.

Thank you

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
xspainx69;3183039; said:
Ok so the breakdown of my fish in the 75 Gallon are on my signature.

I brought up my SG to 1.023. My substrate is crushed coral. Running an Eheim 2217 with the Rena Air pump.

I am thinking about throwing in some cured live rock in the tank.

For now due to back pocket issues, I am skipping out on the protein skimmer until further notice.

Question 1: When I throw in the cured live rock, is there anything special that needs to be done to the rock prior to just dumping it in?

Question 2: Keeping in mind the current stock I already have in my 75 Gallon tank, could I pull off a Porc Puffer or a Dog face puffer? Could I throw in a Niger Trigger or a Clownfish? Any inverterbrates or clean up crew that can live with my current stock?

If so, do I stick to using the drip method?

If no, what are some kool alternative salt water fishes that could live peacefully with my current stock.

Thank you

answer to question 1 if it is cured live rock nothing is needed to be done with the live rock.

question 2 answer Unfortunaley Puffer's need a tank 150 gallon's or bigger of the 2 your looking at niger trigger and clownfish would be okay you'll have to do some research on FOWLR tank's for what your looking at but you get a great choice of fish but you must be careful with invert's as the trigger will eat most of them I think you'll be able to get away with Urchin's, Some starfish but a little research will be needed.

Drip method is great first float bag for 15 minute's to acclimate temp. then you can drip. A little research of the fish your thinking and your on your way and if I can help in any way please let me know or Private Message me.

Mr.Reef24

Welcome to the wonderful world of Saltwater fish keeping :headbang2

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
I got a Niger trigger about 4 inches long. A Clownfish and two blue damsels and Spotted Sharpnose Puffer ( Canthigaster solandri), Copperband Butterflyfish, Panther Grouper. Im still having some trouble getting the grouper to eat blood worms, but everyone else seems to be enjoying it.

For some strange reason the Niger Trigger has been hiding away in my big log for a while. The damsels and the clownfish and puffer are eating already and running around the tank.

I hope that the Niger Trigger is ok.....From what i was told the Niger Trigger is suppose to be a very active fish. But all he seems to be doing is hiding away. I read somewhere that Triggers are suppose to be really shy at first....But Im not sure whats his issue...

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
Uhhh oh...a clownfish with panther grouper??? Panther grouper, then there would be a no/no on inverts if im not wrong here including anything that can fit in its mouth. The urchin will probably be fine though. Panther grouper gets huge(enough to make 2-3 meals out of it)...just to let you know.

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
Ok so Niger Trigger is still parking himself in a specific spot and refuses to move. I went to look at him because I thought he was dead and when I touched him with the net he moved around and picked another spot to park himself and not move again....:confused:

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
BIG_ONE;3200184; said:
Is your niger trigger eating?
No...its day 2 and he is finding hiding spots to rest in. I saw some possible ich on his body. None of the other fish seem to be infected nor exhibiting any signs of stress or illness. I know that in a saltwater tank the chances of ich arising are less chance than freshwater due to the salt levels. But I hope after some time he comes around and gets better, though I am not very confident. He looks like he may be a goner in a day or two. Strange....because I was told by many that Trigger fish are amongst one of the strongest and hardiest of the saltwater fishes.

Im gonna give him about a day or two, he'll either recover or he'll die. If thats the case I probably wont get another one for a while. My tank is currently overstocked and I am intending on getting rid of my Jade Goby.

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
Ok so I dont have a quarantine tank available. I think I am going to have no choice but to treat the whole tank to be on the safe side. I have an eheim 2217 canister filter. I mentioned before the fish that are in my tank at present. I was reading that I could use copper to treat the tank. My tank is a fish only, no live rock yet and no reef.

I am not to savvy at doing freshwater dips so I think it would spell distaster on my end if I tried it. Any suggestions to bring about a fast cure in my tank?

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
Don't risk it...if the other fish aren't infected, and you start treating the whole tank. Things can go wrong real fast. This is SW not FW nor brackish. If your other fish are scale less, I wouldn't risk it. Go get yourself a quarantine tank. A tub or whatever works fine. From my past experience with quaranteeing FW and I suppose they should work the same no matter if its a plastic tub or fish tank.

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
BIG_ONE;3201747; said:
Don't risk it...if the other fish aren't infected, and you start treating the whole tank. Things can go wrong real fast. This is SW not FW nor brackish. If your other fish are scale less, I wouldn't risk it. Go get yourself a quarantine tank. A tub or whatever works fine. From my past experience with quaranteeing FW and I suppose they should work the same no matter if its a plastic tub or fish tank.

Ok so I went to my lfs and they told me to treat my tank with something called "Kick Ick". Appearantly this is the better alternative than copper because they said it was safer for scaless fish.

I opened the Eheim and removed the carbon pad and restarted the filter.

So far some of the fish dont look to thrilled....but nothing serious yet. I dont see anyone tipping over yet.

Hopefully this treatment will cure the ill fish and I hope that there are no casualties along the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store