Breeding and feeder fish

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I have heard of people using convicts as feeder fish and am interested in doing the same. What do I need for this? I will be keeping the parents in the the large tank with the oscars that the babies will be feed to.

How long do the babies need to grow out?

What equipment is needed?

Cost to benefit ratio?

Can this be a cheap way of feeding my oscars?

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It can be a disappointment for sure. Not a lot of bang for your buck. Especially when it comes to the time involved. it usually takes a few months to get the babies to an inch or so, even feeding multiple times daily and temps high.

Truth be told oscars are more insectivores than piscivores- try crickets and or superworms. Easier, cheaper ,faster, and better nutrition, especially if you gutload them.

I have tried this with both guppies and jewel cichlids. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you already have the convicts and they are already breeding. Also I just read the other day another member here who tried this and the oscars didn’t even eat the convict babies and now she is stuck with all kinds of convicts.

.02$

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
I wouldnt reccomend it I used to do it. If you want to do it succesfully Id get a 20 gallon long for the convicts to breed and a 10 gallon to grow the fry. You will get lots of babies. But like Matteus Matteus said they will take a long time to grow. Also if the tank has hiding spots the convicts will get away you would have to hand feed them.
If you plan on breeding use a sponge filter and keep water heated around 80-82 degrees. Make sure to do waterchanges to help make them breed.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Matteus, because oscars are predominantly insectivores in nature you'd be better off breeding mealworms, red worms or something like that, where you can raise them quickly in rubbermaid containers in a cool basement or garage, and feed the worms table scraps, and paper.
With convicts you will need a number of grow out tanks, heat them, and do the same water changes (if not more) to keep fry separate by sizes, and healthy, and which may take a few months and tanks per spawn to get them to a size that makes a difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store