breeding black rams

PhelansFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2015
hello! it is my understanding with wild rams and rams not line bred their eggs need a low tds to hatch. do line bred rams like black rams still require that? has anyone bred them in tds of about 350?
thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I believe the original breeder (If they are "dark knight") uses an RO mix since he also breeds discus and so on. Municipal water in the area is also fairly soft. They may breed in harder water. I had a quick check on a local forum and I have not seen him mention the water he uses for the rams specifiically

PhelansFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2015
I believe the original breeder (If they are "dark knight") uses an RO mix since he also breeds discus and so on. Municipal water in the area is also fairly soft. They may breed in harder water. I had a quick check on a local forum and I have not seen him mention the water he uses for the rams specifiically
thanks!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Any time. The breeder here in SA bred out the "Dark knight" line which is one of the first black ram lines IIRC. Don't know what other morphs are out there

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
How does one 'make' artificial strains with different colours? Do they just stem from mutations ( like most evolution) or come from artificial breeding. Interesting; saw deans pair last week on cories video. Deans like a fish celeb now!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Basically you pick up on natural variations or mutations and then selectively breed the trait out. It is a long process that requires many tanks and a lot of time! Basically how we have so many varieties of guppy and Betta, and also consistent morphs like electric blue Acara

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
Wow Ryan, that is amazing. I guess the temp and everything is same for normal Rams? How much do these dark knight Rams go for?

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
1593887814185.png
This is the Morph developed locally, refined from the strain that formed other "dark" lines of rams today :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store