Breeding Blue Damsels

cichlidman1888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Mansfield , Ohio
I have a 5 year old blue devil damsel that i have thought about breeding, i acutally would just like to get into breeding some SW fish .. any suggestions on the easiest fish to breed, and or how to breed this damsel... also how i tell male and female on a damsel??!!! :confused:

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
I don;t know, but I know damsels are simple to breed in aquarium, I will look it up starting now, see how long it takes to find anything.

chicken_boy_Kurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
PA, USA
I read somewhere that clownfish were pretty easy.

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
Unlike most marine species that are pelagic spawners, damselfish just as the clownfish, are substrate spawners which means they lay their adhesive eggs on the substrate. A male damselfish will establish a territory and then clean and prepare an area such as a piece of rubble that has a smoothed-walled crevice, a coral surface, or a rocky ledge for the female to deposit her eggs on.
Once the spawning site has been prepared, the male will then try to attract a female into his territory to deposit her eggs. The male engages in a number of tactics to entice the female to approach involving color changes and excited swimming movements, and in some species emiting clicking sounds. Once the female enters the spawning site, she will deposit up to 20,000 tiny oval adheasive eggs on the prepared smooth surface and then leave. The male will then quickly fertilize the eggs.
Each courtship and mating process takes about 10 to 20 minutes and a male may continue to mate with several additional females. In some species the male will tend the batches of eggs by fanning water across them with his fins, often picking out and eating dead eggs, presumably to prevent a fungus from developing that could threaten the whole batch. Some males provide no direct parental care except to protect the eggs from predators. In all cases, the male will aggressively and fearlessly guard his territory and the eggs from intruders, even fish much larger than himself.
The eggs will hatch in 3 to 7 days. The larvae then drifts away as plankton, feeding on the other zooplankton and phytoplankton for several to many weeks, depending on the species. A damselfish can take from 2 to 3 years or even longer to mature, with each species having its own timeframe.

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
there, six minutes

I found a few sites, but thsi summed it up the best I thought. Didn;t find much info in the 6 minutes on how to determine sex (except for one kind where the female has a clear tail says Bob Fenner).

good luck

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
try clownfish, they are fairly easy to breed and raise.

I've bred them, ill find my clownfish thread for you later...

cichlidman1888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Mansfield , Ohio
Thank you PoopSmart!!! ... that was great information!! im thinking about using a 10 for a sump but yet i want to use it as a breeder tank for clowns or damsels lol...

cichlidman1888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Mansfield , Ohio
I found this...The Blue Devil available in a pet store may often be a juvenile that has not yet come into its adult coloration. As they mature the males develop yellow-orange tail colors....Females will gain a black spot at the base of the hindmost dorsal ray.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store