Breeding Cherry Red Shrimp & Clown Loaches?????

ridehardorgohome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle WA
I'm breeding CRS and have a snail problem and just purchased two (2")baby clown loaches for my big tank, and wondering how they would do together if I put the clowns in for a couple days to control the snail population?? And if the clowns will eat the shrimp babies? I've read that clown are ok with breeding fish and their fry but not sure about CRS, Any input would be great, Also on the bottom pic their is a shrimp on the right with the pink line all the way down from head to tail and was wondering if it is a different type of species, I have a hole colony but only three with this pink line
:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

snoop 002.JPG

snoop 010.JPG

snoop 008.JPG

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
ridehardorgohome;3904872; said:
I'm breeding CRS and have a snail problem and just purchased two (2")baby clown loaches for my big tank, and wondering how they would do together if I put the clowns in for a couple days to control the snail population?? And if the clowns will eat the shrimp babies? I've read that clown are ok with breeding fish and their fry but not sure about CRS, Any input would be great, Also on the bottom pic their is a shrimp on the right with the pink line all the way down from head to tail and was wondering if it is a different type of species, I have a hole colony but only three with this pink line
:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

My clown loaches, eat snails, fish eggs, ghost shrimp and small fish if they can catch them

MarimoBoy

Feeder Fish
Feb 10, 2010
Hawaii
I have a 4-5" clown loach and it had been living in a planted tank with shrimp (and snails) for many years...but then one day when I went to check, all the shrimp vanished (the snails did as well).
It could have been due to pesticides sprayed unknowingly near my tank (outside) by the gardeners...but ever since then, I keep my shrimp separated from the clown loach just in case (because I figured that if it were a chemical contaminant, the clown loach and other fishes would have died as well).
In my opinion, I think they could live together quite well if you have a lot of plants and the clown loaches are small (less than 3" or so). But once the clown loach gets a big enough mouth...and gets a taste of the shrimp (yum!), that could be the end of a good relationship.

MDK500

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Ⓞⓤⓣ Ⓕⓘⓢⓗⓘⓝⓖ
Clown Loaches love to eat small shrimp... Also, you shouldn't introduce a fish just for the sole purpose of removing snails. By the way CRS are Crystal Red Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp are RCS.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
also, the loaches will be stressed with only 2. you need ideally a trio or more (more is a lot better).

i would look at getting assassin snails. they wont grow to be 12" long and dont need to be kept in huge schools and are very attractive.

ridehardorgohome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle WA
chesterthehero;4008053; said:
also, the loaches will be stressed with only 2. you need ideally a trio or more (more is a lot better).

i would look at getting assassin snails. they wont grow to be 12" long and dont need to be kept in huge schools and are very attractive.
I ended up getting 4 clowns but one died of skinnys,The other are doing great and I put them in my big tank after having to quarntine them for 4weeks due to ich,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store