breeding convicts

exoticaquaria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Shreveport
seriously ill paypal you $20 if you can help answer my last few questions in this post. you have no idea how much your helping me :)
The most widely known rule for stocking a tank is one inch of fish per gallon of water. While this type of calculation works as a rough estimate, it leaves plenty of room for error. Like people, fish are not all the same size and shape. Your Parrots are more full body fish than your convicts & will produce more waste. Now with the convicts spawning from time to time... well, let's just say all the time because that's what they do. Even with your Parrots eating some of the fry there will be some survivors like you said. I would just keep an eye out and pick out the best of the convict babies you want to keep & give/donate the others you don't want.

Now with more water changes and better filtration you will be able to keep more of the fry as they grow. But I recommend giving them away & only keeping the ones you want.

Jill ;)
sounds like you know your stuff! and I never follow the inch per gallon rule either but that brought something to my mind. being that my aquarium has so many large rocks does this take away space meaning I cant have as many fish? however tunnels and caves run through the rock structure. what do you think? about the fry I was thinking the same thing, im going to start off with a ten gallon and choose a few of the best looking fry out of each batch and go from there. im sure the filtration will take a few of the fry out too so the population should balance out. now I have a few questions if you dont mind. my male convicts are only an inch in length and ive heard convicts that size havnt reached sexual maturity yet, is this true? out of the two one inch males one is darker and has slightly longer fins. he is always following the female with the bright purple fat belly. he keeps the other male away from the female at all times, flaring his gills and showing off in front of her and so on. think he may be mature enough to spawn? and how soon should these guys spawn after being released into the aquarium if you have a guess?
I added a black back ground and few more small rocks and plants today. now im going to quit moving and adding decor and let these guys settle in. so far none of the fish are being aggressive except for the one lucky male convict chasing the other away from the female but he just makes a quick dash into the rockwork and is out of harms way. and for my last question; how much and often should I change the water? should I stick with my daily twenty percent water changes? thanks a million for getting my aquarium up and running. heres a pic I just took after adding the new background, plants and rocks. im feeding all the fish a mixture of frozen foods and hikari, temp is 80f, ph 7.2 and all the bad words are at zero. any last tips or advice? thanks again.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1330488735379.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330488752118.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330488766081.jpg

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Your aquarium is looking good. Now remember that everything you add to the tank takes away swimming space. So (YES) the rocks will cost you some livestock. As far as your convicts breeding, Well... just give them time to mature. I believe that they are sexually mature @ about 1" or just a little over 1". So you won't have to wait long for them to spawn.

The colour difference in the male convicts could be just like you said & one is defending his right to the female. Most cichlids behave very similar when they are ready to spawn. The colour changing, the flaring or the gills & expanding their fins is all normal. Enjoy the ritual & just make sure they don't hurt each other too badly.

Now you have enough filtration that you don't have to do so many water changes, but if you like doing them it's O.K..
What you need to do is keep an eye on your water quality & keep it in good condition specially if you want a spawn.
You can add a couple of jets to move the water around in your tank and help you filter it like I mentioned before. Another thing you can do to help get your convicts get ready to spawn is raise the temp in the tank to about 82 & feed them live food to get them ready to go.

Now don't worry so much. Everything looks good. ;)

Jill

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
heres a video of the setup, let me know what you think! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MOsI9e5zEI
Very nice setup hun :)
Don't worry about the picture quality. There's plenty of hiding places in case it gets nasty in there.
Your filtration is fine, don't worry so much about these guys. They're convicts & they will spawn sooner or later, that's what they're good for.
I recommend Rainbow cichlids to everyone, because they are the most beautiful & friendly cichlids around. You can put them with aggressive and none aggressive fish & not worry about them. Just make sure you have a group of them. I'll be posting a vid of my rainbows on my youtube channel soon as I have time. I have the footage, it's just a matter of adding the soundtrack and editing the video. I was unhappy with my last video of my Green Jack Dempsey fry.
I'm sorry to hijack your thread hun... But your tank looks good, just give it time & you'll have a spawn.

Jill ;)

exoticaquaria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Shreveport
Very nice setup hun :)
Don't worry about the picture quality. There's plenty of hiding places in case it gets nasty in there.
Your filtration is fine, don't worry so much about these guys. They're convicts & they will spawn sooner or later, that's what they're good for.
I recommend Rainbow cichlids to everyone, because they are the most beautiful & friendly cichlids around. You can put them with aggressive and none aggressive fish & not worry about them. Just make sure you have a group of them. I'll be posting a vid of my rainbows on my youtube channel soon as I have time. I have the footage, it's just a matter of adding the soundtrack and editing the video. I was unhappy with my last video of my Green Jack Dempsey fry.
I'm sorry to hijack your thread hun... But your tank looks good, just give it time & you'll have a spawn.

Jill ;)
thank you. im not worrying so much anymore just more after opinions. what made you bring up the rainbows. are you saying I should add some?

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store