Breeding EBJD x JD

EBJDguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2012
New Castle, DE
Hey guys, I am trying to breed an electric blue Jack Dempsey male to a JD female. They are both 6 inches and have done the lip locking etc. The problem I am having is that after the lip locking the female will accept the male's dominance, but she will challenge it a couple times, but her mouth is much tougher than his and his top jaw will rip up while she looks like nothing has ever happened to her. She has some pretty sharp teeth. When he does dominate her, if she gets too far from his territory he will chase her back to it and keep her there in a sense. After a few days of her challenges i have to separate them with a divider because his lip gets too beat up.

They are currently in a 29 long with sand, pH 7.8 and 80 degrees F. They were in a 60 long but i couldn't separate them in that tank because i couldn't find a separator large enough and I want them to see each other daily. He is currently healing from another bout with her. They have had fry before, but she nearly killed him in the process.

I may just have to get another female, but before that, any advice?

Regalblue

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
MI.
Get them in a bigger tank, 75+, & toss some kind of target /dither fish in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

EBJDguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2012
New Castle, DE
Get them in a bigger tank, 75+, & toss some kind of target /dither fish in.
Its not the size of the tank, she isn't necessarily trying to kill him, but the normal lip-locking is tearing his face up. The problem is she wants to lip-lock all the time. He will win, and she'll be docile and submissive for a day, then start poking him on the side and re initiate the lip locking which keeps tearing his face up.

Dispatch273

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
CT
Are you 100% sure you have a male EBJD and not two females?
Well considering he said they have had fry before, yes he's 100% sure he doesn't have two females haha.

My advice is to put them into a bigger tank with a couple of dithers and plenty of hiding places. In a 29 gallon tank there really isn't any room for them to get away from each other. It's also very easy to make your own divider out of plastic eggcrate that you can get at a hardware store. Good luck with them! Do you have any pictures of them? Also how big are they?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store