Breeding for profit

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Thanks for the feed back I’m thing of breeding Angelfish not for profit but because I want to make my 50 gallon tank with a couple angels
Angels are a good choice as nice ones are always in demand. Like everyone has said you won't get rich though. You will be lucky to swap them with your LFS for some free food or something. Still it's a good start, you will get experience with breeding and get bit of a reputation as a breeder in your neighbourhood.
Go for it, it will be fun and rewarding but wait until you have 50 tanks full of breeding pairs and high quality fry before you start thinking of making a decent profit.

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
This will be a longish post.

When I set up my first tank at the end of Jan. 2001 I had no interest in breeding anything. I was fortunate enough to decide that whatever fish I got should still include both sexes even if i did not plan for babies. Like most folks i stared with inexpensive fish. The first fish to breed in my tanks did so because they wanted to, not because I had a clue. The first serious spawning came from long fin bristlenose. These were prolific spawners and they taught me lesson one. It is impossible to make money breeding easy to spawn fish that made lots of kids. I eveentually got rid of all my bristlenose at CatCon 2014.

Not long after I began working with the LF Bn, I acquired a group of lovely double dark black angerls which I grew out and which gave me a spawning pair. Their first spawn was over 500 eggs and they repeated that a short time later. That was when I learned that to spawn angels one needs two 55 gal. grow tanks for fry for each spawning pair. That was the end of my desire to spawn angels.

What eventually got me into making money as a hobby breeder was a chance to buy a spawning group of 13 Hypancistrus zebra plecos and a few fry from them in Apr. 2006. I had to break into an IRA to get the $3,500 I needed to buy them. They are a perfect fish for the hobby breeder who can succeed with them. I was lucky and I did. They only produce about 15 eggs per spawn and they grow pretty slowly. In Feb, the following year I was selling my babies at 1.5 inch TL for $150 and I had a waiting list of buyers. I recouped all my costs, Then I recouped every penny I had spent on the hobby since day one. Most importantly, they provided me a way to expand.

Since the zebras I have acquired the following for this approximate cost and what their offspring sell for:
-L450- paid $20/fish for 7 fish at 1.75 inch and about two weeks ago I sold the spawning group and all the offspring are going out shortly. 1.75 in fish sold for about $30.

-L173b bought 7 fish for $175 each. These also went out with the 450s. These were a harder sell and fish at 2+ inches went for $150.

-L236 this line originated with a well known Gerrnan breeder. Mine came from a well known American breeder who brought them homne from Europe and spawned them. I bought 10 fish at $175 each. I still have this line and I sell fish for $125 - 200+ starting at 1.5 inch fish.

_L236 this line is a tank raised line from Germany I am unsure as to the original source. They were supposed to be super white fish, but when they arrived they were not. But some were very nice looking. I paid $150 each for 42 fish. These sell for $100-$150/ I have also sold a few proven breeders from this group.

-L173 tank raised fish. I purchased 14 fish at $150 each at about 1.75 inch, They grow slower than molasses flows uphill. After a few years they spawned the fist time last Oct. They are now actively spawning and I must have about 30-40 offspring. I have only sold 3 of the original fish so far. That was because of the fish below.

-LI73 wild caught proven breeders- 10 adult Fish. I was originally sent these fish by their owner to spawn. The deal was if I succeeded. we would split any offspring. This is an extremely rare Hypancistrus. I succeeded and ultimately bought the group. Yo u will get sick if I tell you how much they cost, but I could have bought a very nice used car for what I paid. The have been actively spawning or some time now and I have sent out 26 to my seller and I must have close to 150 offspring spread across 3 tanks. To date 17 fish have been sold. 4 at $175 each, 3 at 175 each, 5 at $225 each, 6 at $350 each and 4 at $300 each. I am getting ready to try and send about 30 or so for $200 each to Asia,

-L236 Super Whites- the last fish I will buy just came in about 10 days ago. I bought a dozen but one was DOA. This line was created by the same breeder as my first 236 group, His super whites are legendary. These were insanely priced as well- they sell fro anywhere from $500- $1,500 depending on who created the line and the size of the fish. These will need about a year to grow to spawning size.

As you can see it is indeed possible for a smaller scale hobby breeder to make money breeding, the problem is it takes one of two things. You can go my route and work with pricey fish which have smallish spawns. The other option is to have a huge number of tanks and in the summer outdoor tubs in which you spawn many small fish or ones easier to spawn. But then you have to sell a ton of fish. Whichever route one may go they will need to ship fish and will need to be on social media. I am lucky, I established my rep before the time of Facebook etc. I am not on any social media but people seem to find me anyway. I also now work with at least one individual who makes his living selling rare fish. He is on all the social media and he attends many of the weekend fish events as a vendor. He is working with me to do the Asian sale above.

If you want to sell fish for profit, learn about breeding fish and raising fry. Learn how to ship fish. Then start with something easy amd mot real expensive and work your way up. Making money as a hobby breeder takes the necessary skills and a fat bank account to acquire the stuff that sells for top dollar. It also takes some space and multiple tanks. My space is limited so the most tanks I have going has been over the summer when I have temporary tanks set up outside on our screened terrace. Then I can have as many as 26 or so tanks running.

My well water is ideal for the fish I that spawn in my tanks. It is my belief that we do not spawn our fish. The fish naturally want to spawn. Our job is not to do things that would discourage this. provide the right environment and a good varied diet of appropriate foods and most fish will spawn in tanks. However, some species have never and will likely never do so.

One last observation- I am about to turn 72. I am nearing the end of my journey in the hobby. I plan to have only one tank by the time I am 75. I have been extremely lucky that I had the contacts and the money to make the journey above. I only wish I had started as a kid rather than waiting until I was 51.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!

When I set up my first tank at the end of Jan. 2001 I had no interest in breeding anything. I was fortunate enough to decide that whatever fish I got should still include both sexes even if i did not plan for babies. Like most folks i stared with inexpensive fish. The first fish to breed in my tanks did so because they wanted to, not because I had a clue. The first serious spawning came from long fin bristlenose. These were prolific spawners and they taught me lesson one. It is impossible to make money breeding easy to spawn fish that made lots of kids. I eveentually got rid of all my bristlenose at CatCon 2014.

Not long after I began working with the LF Bn, I acquired a group of lovely double dark black angerls which I grew out and which gave me a spawning pair. Their first spawn was over 500 eggs and they repeated that a short time later. That was when I learned that to spawn angels one needs two 55 gal. grow tanks for fry for each spawning pair. That was the end of my desire to spawn angels.

What eventually got me into making money as a hobby breeder was a chance to buy a spawning group of 13 Hypancistrus zebra plecos and a few fry from them in Apr. 2006. I had to break into an IRA to get the $3,500 I needed to buy them. They are a perfect fish for the hobby breeder who can succeed with them. I was lucky and I did. They only produce about 15 eggs per spawn and they grow pretty slowly. In Feb, the following year I was selling my babies at 1.5 inch TL for $150 and I had a waiting list of buyers. I recouped all my costs, Then I recouped every penny I had spent on the hobby since day one. Most importantly, they provided me a way to expand.

Since the zebras I have acquired the following for this approximate cost and what their offspring sell for:
-L450- paid $20/fish for 7 fish at 1.75 inch and about two weeks ago I sold the spawning group and all the offspring are going out shortly. 1.75 in fish sold for about $30.

-L173b bought 7 fish for $175 each. These also went out with the 450s. These were a harder sell and fish at 2+ inches went for $150.

-L236 this line originated with a well known Gerrnan breeder. Mine came from a well known American breeder who brought them homne from Europe and spawned them. I bought 10 fish at $175 each. I still have this line and I sell fish for $125 - 200+ starting at 1.5 inch fish.

_L236 this line is a tank raised line from Germany I am unsure as to the original source. They were supposed to be super white fish, but when they arrived they were not. But some were very nice looking. I paid $150 each for 42 fish. These sell for $100-$150/ I have also sold a few proven breeders from this group.

-L173 tank raised fish. I purchased 14 fish at $150 each at about 1.75 inch, They grow slower than molasses flows uphill. After a few years they spawned the fist time last Oct. They are now actively spawning and I must have about 30-40 offspring. I have only sold 3 of the original fish so far. That was because of the fish below.

-LI73 wild caught proven breeders- 10 adult Fish. I was originally sent these fish by their owner to spawn. The deal was if I succeeded. we would split any offspring. This is an extremely rare Hypancistrus. I succeeded and ultimately bought the group. Yo u will get sick if I tell you how much they cost, but I could have bought a very nice used car for what I paid. The have been actively spawning or some time now and I have sent out 26 to my seller and I must have close to 150 offspring spread across 3 tanks. To date 17 fish have been sold. 4 at $175 each, 3 at 175 each, 5 at $225 each, 6 at $350 each and 4 at $300 each. I am getting ready to try and send about 30 or so for $200 each to Asia,

-L236 Super Whites- the last fish I will buy just came in about 10 days ago. I bought a dozen but one was DOA. This line was created by the same breeder as my first 236 group, His super whites are legendary. These were insanely priced as well- they sell fro anywhere from $500- $1,500 depending on who created the line and the size of the fish. These will need about a year to grow to spawning size.

As you can see it is indeed possible for a smaller scale hobby breeder to make money breeding, the problem is it takes one of two things. You can go my route and work with pricey fish which have smallish spawns. The other option is to have a huge number of tanks and in the summer outdoor tubs in which you spawn many small fish or ones easier to spawn. But then you have to sell a ton of fish. Whichever route one may go they will need to ship fish and will need to be on social media. I am lucky, I established my rep before the time of Facebook etc. I am not on any social media but people seem to find me anyway. I also now work with at least one individual who makes his living selling rare fish. He is on all the social media and he attends many of the weekend fish events as a vendor. He is working with me to do the Asian sale above.

If you want to sell fish for profit, learn about breeding fish and raising fry. Learn how to ship fish. Then start with something easy amd mot real expensive and work your way up. Making money as a hobby breeder takes the necessary skills and a fat bank account to acquire the stuff that sells for top dollar. It also takes some space and multiple tanks. My space is limited so the most tanks I have going has been over the summer when I have temporary tanks set up outside on our screened terrace. Then I can have as many as 26 or so tanks running.

My well water is ideal for the fish I that spawn in my tanks. It is my belief that we do not spawn our fish. The fish naturally want to spawn. Our job is not to do things that would discourage this. provide the right environment and a good varied diet of appropriate foods and most fish will spawn in tanks. However, some species have never and will likely never do so.

One last observation- I am about to turn 72. I am nearing the end of my journey in the hobby. I plan to have only one tank by the time I am 75. I have been extremely lucky that I had the contacts and the money to make the journey above. I only wish I had started as a kid rather than waiting until I was 51.
This right here! It's about as real as you get.

Reactions: RampageRR

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If you have the interest and determination then you will find a way to succeed.

I started fish keeping at age 7. Not much money as a kid so I breed fish in polystyrene fish boxes. Floating net cages in above ground pool was another successful option. Then I learnt how to cut glass and there is a mountain of free scrap glass if you are resourceful so I had 150 tanks when I was 14. You will learn a lot more about fish keeping when maintaining 100 tanks for a year than maintaining one tank for one hundred years. So give it a go if you are interested.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019

Thanks for this post! Sometimes I wonder if I missed the boat starting at age 44. I've kept fish off and on since I was a kid, but didn't get into full scale breeding until recently. 46 now and still no reputation built up as a seller, but the breeding education has definitely taken place.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
There is a big difference between being a successful breeder and a successful seller as these are two different things.

If making money is the main objective then buying (cheap) and reselling fish is far more profitable than breeding as this requires less time, resources, effort and risk. Much easier to be an agile on trend reseller.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I was actually thinking that, like u said it’s easier and can happen any time, like the other day I saw a plexiglass for 6$ and it’s like a foot long and now I’m reselling it on a different thread

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Thanks for this post! Sometimes I wonder if I missed the boat starting at age 44. I've kept fish off and on since I was a kid, but didn't get into full scale breeding until recently. 46 now and still no reputation built up as a seller, but the breeding education has definitely taken place.
What are you breeding?

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
What are you breeding?
I've slowed down some because I got overwhelmed, but have done a few batches of gold base flowerhorn, zz flowerhorn, red Texas, Carpintis, managuensis, and some different not so run of the mill convict cichlids. My gold morph managuensis just laid eggs but other than that pairs are separated for the time being.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store