Breeding GT Cichlids

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Hi,
I was wondering if I could get a pair of GTs and keep them with any other kind of fish in a 150 gallon tank?
I was thinking I would get all the fish as juveniles and then wait for the GTs breed. But basically I want to know is there any fish/fishes that could live with a breeding pair of GTs? Also how long does it take for the fry to get to 2"? I have a lfs that says they will buy the GT babies if they are at 2" or larger. Thanks :D

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I posted this in the other thread, yes, some non-cichlid tankmates like tetras should be fine with a pair of GT's.
Side note, you should try to consolidate your questions in your existing threads, you've been making a lot of them and some people would get annoyed that they seem to be about the same setup. You would probably get more answers in your threads if making less of them. Just a friendly suggestion

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I posted this in the other thread, yes, some non-cichlid tankmates like tetras should be fine with a pair of GT's.
Side note, you should try to consolidate your questions in your existing threads, you've been making a lot of them and some people would get annoyed that they seem to be about the same setup. You would probably get more answers in your threads if making less of them. Just a friendly suggestion
Absolutely will stop making the threads.
Sorry everyone that is annoyed by that. Will stop. :D

Reactions: Gourami Swami

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
You can keep some fish with them. Mine tolerate tetras and plecos. On other cichlids.
You’ll want a tank to put fry in when you choose to pull them. They will grow faster and reduce stress in the parents tank. Mine were pulled after a week from hatching if I remember correctly. They hit the 2” mark just shy of 3 months. But I was only raising 5 at that time. My second batch I had 40 and they took longer to grow out. So it varies.

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Breeding with other fish sucks the fry usually get picked up and the parents will claim 2/3 of the tank and potentially kill most their tankmates. Breeding separately will be easier and produce happier healthy fish.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Well I won't be going with GTs in this tank. Maybe when I get a 55 :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store