Breeding monster catfish - Let's see it!

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
There are too many rtcs in the trade already. To fill the need for people that can properly care for them you need about a dozen a year globally, as opposed to the thousands sold into death sentences.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chesterfieldzoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
michigan
I have 4 tiger shovelnoses in my indoor pond at work. I was just told it is now full of baby catfish. Surprise. If you want all the boring details on how we care for them I can tell you.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Are you serious ? PICS PICS PICS, and yes, please offer your details! And, are the parents guarding, etc ? Did you happen to have anyone observe the breeding behavior?

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
I have 4 tiger shovelnoses in my indoor pond at work. I was just told it is now full of baby catfish. Surprise. If you want all the boring details on how we care for them I can tell you.
Pics pics pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What a curveball, from rtc to a breeding pair of tsn.................

chesterfieldzoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
michigan
For starters, it's an indoor pond. Middle of an manufacturing shop. I built it for some koi that I later took home and replaced them with the cats. 13 x 16. About 2400 gallons. Exterior pond filter. 220 watt heater to keep it at 74 degrees F. 7 catfish - 4 shovelnose, 2 rtc, 1 ripsaw. Plus a 24 inch motoro ray. Plus 6 turtles, thousand guppies. They get fed catfish pellets from local tractor supply store plus frozen smelt - about a dozen a day. Filter is cleaned weekly. I haven't been to the shop lately because of the cold weather. One of the guys said it was full of 3 inch baby catfish with a description of the shovlenose colors. I will go tomorrow and see if I can get photos. Photos are hard to get because it IS a pond and not an aquarium.
4746.JPG

4746.JPG

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
That is FANTASTIC!!!! Info on ages of cats, etc ?

Also - how long have the cats been in there ? This is very similar to what I have planned for the near future - wink wink :)

Christop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2013
Minneapolis MN
That's cool to hear about the shovelnose. Seems fairly low key!

I recently saw some captive raised striped rapheal cats at a wholesaler. With how cheap they are to import from South America, I got excited to see someone was successfully breeding them. I assumed they came from Asia, and didn't get a chance to get more info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store