Breeding peacocks in a 29, need advice

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Planning on breeding A.stuartgranti "undu reef" (aka blue neons) in a 29.
It started out with me just thinking of getting a single male, but I thought some females might help him color up.
So does 1 male and 2-3 females sound good for a 29 as long as I have good filtration on it?
As for fry, I'm growing out ram fry in my 30 long, can I divide it and have the peacock fry on one side with the rams on the other?

EDIT: I may have to scrap the divided growout idea because of the param difference BUT my rams are acclimated to my 7.7 tap pH so I;m not too sure

Reactions: tlindsey

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Have you kept peacocks before? You realize how aggressive a typical male looking to breed is, right?

A 29 is too small, breeding or otherwise. A 40 or 55 or possibly a 50 for a small breeding group. It's not just water volume and filters, they need some real estate, females need somewhere to go away from a male.

A divided 30 would be temporarily okay for fry, the peacock fry are typically fine with pH in the 7s, but you'd need somewhere for them to go as they grow.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
...Or, to put it another way-- a 29 is hardly more than the approximate spawning area for peacocks, and leaves nowhere to go for other female(s) during a spawn or for the female carrying eggs afterward.

Reactions: jcarson and RD.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I have never had luck with peacocks in tanks smaller than 48". I did try a 36" tank.

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
While water parameters and filtration are important in any size tank, most peacocks are going to need room.
A breeding male will reek havoc on the tank and all other inhabitants. The females will need space to hide from the male and in cases I have seen in my own tanks females can be very aggressive towards each other as well.

I do suggest at least a tank "48 long at minimum. This would allow from my experience a breeding group of 1 male to 4 or 5 females.
And get ready to have a few more tanks as well because once they start spawning, usually it will be on going and you will have fry that are 1" with newly released fry that you will not have a place for.

Older fry will eat younger fry too. Even fry aggression can be quite real.

If you are doing this for the experience and enjoyment of breeding then all is well and you probably not need any more tanks but if you get serious and breeding these fish become more than just an experience and start to become a passion, you will need more bodies of water whether it be glass tanks or plastic grow out totes.

I always suggest have fun, enjoy your fish!

Reactions: neutrino

Longmayitreign

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2019
Toronto
I have bred a few peacocks in 29's (not full sized) it still should work but if you put them in a 29 then you'll need a lot of hiding spaces and more than 3 females. If you only can have 3 then try putting pipes and/or caves everywhere.

As for the growout idea I would say that it's a fine idea but the african fry would only be there (depending on how many you have) until they are about .7''-1'' because after that they wouldn't grow as fast unless you do large and frequent water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store