BREEDING RED BELLY PACU

veurruckte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
USA
Why would you want to breed Pacus despite the fact that they grow to huge sizes they are about as common as beer in a bar?!?!?!?
Very true. They're perhaps too common, considering most people don't own 200 gallon aquariums.

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
I agree, i always see people in petstores buying fish like pacus, oscars, and other cichlids for their 10 gallon tanks....

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
I wouldnt say there stupid, its the people that run the petstores responsibility to inform people about the pets they are buying.

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
The people working at the stores are the ones that should know what they are talking about...I hear the "1" per gallon" rule too often when they are telling people what fish can go in their tank.

te9500rpm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Philippines
www.friendster.com
i think the people buying these fish have to do some research 1st.. we cant blame petstores for this because if u have a shop or a store u would want to sell ryt? i mean marketing strategy whatsoever so they just brainwash some "dumb" customers to buy these kinds of fish..

like me i was stupid to have bought my pacu's 4mos ago. ive never done any research about them til ive got the fish already..

they were 1.5" when i got them feb 2006. they were in a 10gal tank and they eventually outgrew the tank then last friday i bought a 50gal for them and i guess they wont last long in a 50. sometime soon im sure they'll outgrow the tank again and il have bigger problems.. my lesson learned here is before buying any fish at least do some research 1st on how big they grow wat the proper tank size is etc etc.. if i atleast knew this before i wouldnt have gotten these fish but since they're here already i just do my best in keeping them safe and happy. :)

hope some of u may learn from wat ive learned.

Lockness' Oscar

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Ohio
Ummmm....I have two red belly pacu and I got them from my Brother-in-law when they killed two of his fish ripping the head off one. He was goona flush 'em, but I hate to see a fish go that way. So I took them in. I will most likely have a (maybe) 1000 gallon tank for all the fish that I have and want. Wow, that will be one great custom monster! I already knew their eventual size, but I don't wanna kill 'em or condem 'em, so I am stuck getting a custom monster tank which I can't afford right now.

te9500rpm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Philippines
www.friendster.com
Ummmm....I have two red belly pacu and I got them from my Brother-in-law when they killed two of his fish ripping the head off one. He was goona flush 'em, but I hate to see a fish go that way. So I took them in. I will most likely have a (maybe) 1000 gallon tank for all the fish that I have and want. Wow, that will be one great custom monster! I already knew their eventual size, but I don't wanna kill 'em or condem 'em, so I am stuck getting a custom monster tank which I can't afford right now.
wow i envy you 4 that bro. i wish i could have an aquarium that size or a 750 just to house my pacus but unfortunately i have no room to put an aquarium at that size. how big are ur pacus now?

Jabkun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Red bellied Pacu's are a fish species considered to be breed by aquaponic hobbyist/subsistence home grower. They also taste sweet(not a phrase-like awesome) if their diet are from an array of fruits. But due to maturity not size ,since they grow fast, they seem to not breed until 4 years of age. But i would enjoy a fish that looked like a piranha, I am an Aquaponics hobbyist which is a plus since i grow my own food O,o many different plants but am looking for different fish to grow so i can also enjoy a view of my food moving about. And i was really hoping this post would tell how to breed pacu's, oh well to the next one then eh?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store