Breeding temp for jack dempsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I tend to find varying temperature works better for inducing spawning in most CA cichlids. The colder water simulates rainfallin the rainy season. Also, I went on a trip snorkeling in cenotes in mexico with wild shoals of jack dempseys a few years back; the water in the cenotes that wells up from the earth is quite chilly compared to surface ponds. In the shady areas of the cenote the water was low 70's or cooler. I think a constant 80 would be higher than necessary. I don't keep a heater in my CA cichlids tanks, and I know many others on this board who don't as well.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Starquest

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2019
I found that during the summer when the house was warmer my Jack Dempsey's spawned often and as the house cooled for winter they slowed down. I added a heater set at 80 and this immediately induced spawning again. As I have a large number of fry currently in a grow out tank I have reduced the heat again to 70 and have not had another spawn. Has also reduced the agression of the male with the lower temp. Good Luck.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
I found that during the summer when the house was warmer my Jack Dempsey's spawned often and as the house cooled for winter they slowed down. I added a heater set at 80 and this immediately induced spawning again. As I have a large number of fry currently in a grow out tank I have reduced the heat again to 70 and have not had another spawn. Has also reduced the agression of the male with the lower temp. Good Luck.
Thanks I've been tampering about with my tanks... the cooler water changes have induced spawing of my carpintis and my Jack's and flowerhorn def show alotnof breeding signs but no spawn yet... I also find the sun coming out more often now with spring coming has also triggered some behaviours.... I live in Canada and it's dark and cold here for months during winter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store