Breistlenose pleco egg care

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Well as some of you know my bn plecos have been breeding like crazy.

my last bn male and female laid eggs and the male abandoned the cave of eggs and another female ready to lay eggs went in and started to make a snack for herself so I pulled the eggs immediately.

I have made a contraption to hold the eggs and placed a bubbler below. I cannot change the bubbles being created so it’s quite aggressive.

My question is are bn pleco eggs light sensitive? do I need to leave them in the dark for 3-4 days?
0D95C7A7-9E4A-485D-8911-80516540DADB.jpeg

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Just an update for anyone in the future that might come across this thread.

I determined the bn pleco sleighs are not light sensitive. I continued on with my usual lighting periods.

today or tomorrow the eggs should hatch. I found 4 eggs with fungus that I removed.

Side note, bn pleco eggs are fairly hardy for handling. I used a wood skewer to detect the eggs from the cave and also picked the eggs up with my bare hands for transporting. I didn’t damage any of the eggs.

Reactions: YankeeJack

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
That's awesome. I have 2 separate pairs that breed for me and have always been good egg guardians. Their chose spawn locations are in rather large pieces of driftwood that makes egg removal impossible.

• Love
Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
That's awesome. I have 2 separate pairs that breed for me and have always been good egg guardians. Their chose spawn locations are in rather large pieces of driftwood that makes egg removal impossible.
Mine seem to be good breeders and some are fairly new so it’s expected for them to not be great parents for now. And they all breed in caves so it’s easy for egg collection and easy to move them about in my tanks

yea I can see eggs in drift wood difficult to remove if needed.

Reactions: fishguy1978
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store