Bristlenose foods

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi, all. It's been awhile since I've logged into MFK, maybe I'll remember to write down my password this time lol.

I had a few tanks open up recently and decided that I want my next project to be breeding Bristlenose Plecos. I haven't done any breeding for a few years and I'm a fan of Loricariids, so I figured they'd be a good fish to get me back into the groove of things. I also haven't kept any fish that need to eat fresh greens to be healthy for just as long, so I've forgotten the best way to prepare and present such foods. I'm pretty sure that the way I used to do things was to buy fresh zucchinis and squashes at the store, wash them immediately, cut them into discs, and then freeze them until it was time to feed the fish, thawing them under warm water beforehand. Is there anything wrong with that method, or would I be better off blanching veggies instead? Additionally, how do you guys keep these foods on the bottom without spending $20 on those Pleco feeders? I forget how I used to do it so now I'm just thinking I'll use an old fork or something to keep them anchored.

Also, as far as other foods go, flake, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, frozen bloodworms, and gel-based blocks/pastes are all recommended from what I've read. Anymore suggestions in addition to these?

Thanks in advance!

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
I'd go easy on the proteins with bristlenose, some in moderation is great but too much leads to constipation.

I essentially do the same with the zucchini and butternut squash, I use an electric tea pot to heat the water, few frozen chucks in about 8oz ends with a very very light blanch.

Forks work great to sink food. I have seen metal "chip clips" as well. However, I love my pleco feeders, so nice to be able to grab the food up in passing or feed when you dont want to deal with wet arms. But I did go the xmas gift there cause yeah....$20.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd go easy on the proteins with bristlenose, some in moderation is great but too much leads to constipation.

I essentially do the same with the zucchini and butternut squash, I use an electric tea pot to heat the water, few frozen chucks in about 8oz ends with a very very light blanch.

Forks work great to sink food. I have seen metal "chip clips" as well. However, I love my pleco feeders, so nice to be able to grab the food up in passing or feed when you dont want to deal with wet arms. But I did go the xmas gift there cause yeah....$20.

Sounds good. I’m mainly planning to feed them fresh greens and just supplement with dry food and protein-rich bloodworms, etc. to help get them into spawning condition.

I just looked up the pleco feeder online tonight and after seeing that you don’t even have to stick your hand in the tank, I might drop the $30 for one lol.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I use dollar store forks or extra lead plant weights to weigh my fruits and veggies down. Carrots sink my themselves so I don’t anchor those. I’ll use pumpkin, celery, carrot, cantaloupe, watermelon, broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, or squash. Whatever I have laying around. I’ll also use algae wafers, flakes, and occasional pellets.
I don’t ever blanch my fruits/veggies. I usually wait until they’re on the older side of ripe (not anywhere near rotting) Then cut them up and toss them in the freezer to preserve them. From there I just jam a fork into it, or wrap a weight around it, and let it sink. Frozen and all. The tank water does a fine job at thawing it for me.

edit:
If you want to avoid getting your hand and arm in the tank, someone recommended tying a piece of fishing line to the fork and letting it hang outside of the tank for easy recovery once the food item has been consumed.
sometimes I’ll use the magnet from an extra wave maker to stick the fork to the wall of the tank, and drag it up later.

Reactions: deeda and Raka

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I use dollar store forks or extra lead plant weights to weigh my fruits and veggies down. Carrots sink my themselves so I don’t anchor those. I’ll use pumpkin, celery, carrot, cantaloupe, watermelon, broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, or squash. Whatever I have laying around. I’ll also use algae wafers, flakes, and occasional pellets.
I don’t ever blanch my fruits/veggies. I usually wait until they’re on the older side of ripe (not anywhere near rotting) Then cut them up and toss them in the freezer to preserve them. From there I just jam a fork into it, or wrap a weight around it, and let it sink. Frozen and all. The tank water does a fine job at thawing it for me.

edit:
If you want to avoid getting your hand and arm in the tank, someone recommended tying a piece of fishing line to the fork and letting it hang outside of the tank for easy recovery once the food item has been consumed.
sometimes I’ll use the magnet from an extra wave maker to stick the fork to the wall of the tank, and drag it up later.

Thanks for the insight. In that case I think I’ll continue to prepare veggies the way I used to, washing and then freezing them until feeding time.

I have a bunch of steel fishing sinkers and I may be willing to devote one to being a pleco feeder depending on what I can come up with lol.

Reactions: Rob909
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store