Brown algae problems

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Ive got a bad algae problem nitrates are between 5-10 ppm.
Lights are on the tank about 6 hours a day.
I have trouble scrubbing the back off but have trouble getting to the back.
Any ideas on what to do.
I do 40-60% water changes every 4-5 days
I would add some bushynose plecos but do not want to risk them harming my ray.
I was thinking on next waterchangge day to scrub as much off as I can then do a big waterchange.

image.jpg

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
How long has the tank been up and running? Looks like a diatom bloom.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Yup scrub it off and do a water change. Is your silicate substrate new? It could take a few more months before you see a reduction in brown algae.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Agree. With a new set up this is common. It will find it's equilibrium and decrease. Probably mostly go away. I have plants so I fertilize but don't see much diatom activity anymore. My tank is 9 months old. Diatoms finally went away about 4-5 months ago. Just get a little at the substrate line.
Also, just a note. Plecos are great but they won't solve algae and diatom problems. They love to eat this stuff but as a "cleaning staff" they are not the solution.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
just an fyi what I did... my water is high in phosphates and all my tanks have this to some extent. it never goes away. i built a big phosban reactor and it helped noticeably but was just one more thing to maintain. now I just leave it. my tank has been up for over a year and I still have to scrape this off. I was thinking of doing a rodi system to see if that helps but I change more water than I think a rodi could provide.my .02 good luck!

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
just an fyi what I did... my water is high in phosphates and all my tanks have this to some extent. it never goes away. i built a big phosban reactor and it helped noticeably but was just one more thing to maintain. now I just leave it. my tank has been up for over a year and I still have to scrape this off. I was thinking of doing a rodi system to see if that helps but I change more water than I think a rodi could provide.my .02 good luck!
Yeah, having high phosphates in the water can suck.

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store