Bucco Rhoadessi Question

JM34

Feeder Fish
Dec 23, 2019
Hey folks,

Purchased a beautiful bucco rhoadessi about 5 months ago as a 6 inch male. He has grown some at least 1.5". Curious if the females show that bright yellow tone? Just haven't seen much of a transformation into that blueish tone, but also has a few tank makes that are above him. And yes I know I could vent, but before I stress him out would rather get info from people that have kept rhoadessi.

PS sorry for the crappy pics. iphone 6s needs an upgrade.

Thanks

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Last edited:

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I'm going to guess male. The females do get yellow, but I'm not sure they get the red behind their gills.

Reactions: Milingu

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
I am very familiar with the B. Rhoadessi. I have had a couple males close to a foot long and currently have a pair around 6 inches long. To me your bucco looks to be female. I could be wrong though. My current female bucco looks very similar to yours. She has a lot of yellow coloration. My male has a lot of eggs spots and a little blue starting to color on the body. you should be seeing eggs spots on yours which I don't see at around 5-6". At 4-5" my male was already showing some blue on the body with the egg spots. You can't really see any blue on him on the pics because he is in my 220g with larger haps. when I had him in another tank with smaller fish he was coloring up. 1st pic is the male @nd is the female and the third is them together.

bucco male.jpg

bucco female.jpg

bucco together.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store