bucketless mixing of prime and water

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone thought of using those bottles that hold fertilizer that attach to your garden hose? like mix some prime into the bottle and just "spray" into your sump or what have you.

http://www.amazon.com/Ace-405AC-Hose-End-Sprayer/dp/B000QIHSU6

thinking about trying this out, nice cause it does spray the water which will help it release the chlorine in the tap.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Much easier and more than effective enough just to pour prime into the tank when filling.

mitchb

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
victoria
If you were going to use that you could just switch over to safe instead of prime and save a bit of money?

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
I've always just poured the Prime right in the tank as I am adding water back in the tank. Never had any ill-effects doing this.

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
well that's what i was thinking, im using safe right now dont think it mixes too well unless you actually mix it around and i think this would help. just wondering.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
The biggest problem I see with doing that is getting the dosing right. Those sprayer bottles don't seem to be that consistent with how it mixes the chemicals with the water and I would be concerned with either wasting prime by adding too much or risking the stock by not using enough. On a large enough tank it might work, but for that to happen I think you would be in commercial aquarium sizing.

mitchb

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
victoria
If you know how much water you are changing then you could just put that amount of safe/prime into the bottle and spray it out. Then at the end just put some tank water in the container and swish it around just to make sure there was not any left behind.

Tbh, it seems like a lot more work than just emptying the water, dosing for the amount of water you are changing and putting the prime in prior to refilling the tank? Also, if you are using prime then you are already putting the chlorine into a non active state so the aeration is not really required to release it.

Just thoughts, and could be wrong?

rhodes_96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2009
Australia
Sometimes I see some really genuine posts from people that require help, and sometimes I see some silly posts.

This is one of the latter ! :headshake

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store