Buenos Aires Tetras

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
When starting my 120 I knew I wanted some active fish to help bring out the personality of my Green Terror and Severums. I decided that the BA Tetras were worth a shot. I had no idea how active and colorful (when the light hits them correctly) they can be. I find myself watching them at least as much as my cichlids. I'm adding some pics to show just how colorful they can be.Tetra 1.jpg Tetra 2.jpg Tetra 3.jpg Tetra 4.jpg Tetra 5.jpg Tetra 6.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Gorgeous BA tetras. I agree it can be surprising how dither fish can end up being some of your favorites. My male ameca splendens pushes around fish twice his size- he is third in command of the tank, ahead of like 5 other cichlids! and a very pretty fish in his own right.

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
I'm guessing dithers in cichlids tanks benefit from the better diet and swimming space dedicated owners provide. Most of the BA tetras I've seen have been mostly just silver and many torn fins. One thing I was a bit surprised about was that they only really school when I'm cleaning the tank. I figured having a few larger cichlids would trigger a much stronger schooling response. Guess I'll see what happens as the cichlids continue to put on size.

Reactions: tlindsey

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
I have a school of 9. I originally started with 6 and just thought they could use a few more as it looked a little sparse. I picked up an additional 3 a couple days later. They can be pretty rough with each other though, especially at feeding time. So probably a good thing that I added more to spread the aggression a bit.

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Nice, I always found the schooling behavior of fish to be interesting! Good idea on the aggression too.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Nice pics, they don't sit still for long. I've kept BA Tetras on and off with CA cichlids for years. I'll get a large school, keep them for a year or so then sell them off. A year later, I'll miss the added activity and get another school. I most recently had a large school of around 30 in my 220gal that I sold off a few months ago. They were beginning to out compete the cichlids when it came to feeding time!

Reactions: Spence

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I agree they make a great addition as far as dithers go. I have a bunch with my panda uarus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store