Buffalo, carp and other possibilities..

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
Going fishing at my local spillway in northern texas today to collect some natives for my new pond. This place is know for some monster fish, large; gars, carp, buffalo, striped or sand bass, lm bass, brim, channel and blue cats and more.

I already collected some cats, bass and brim but now I'm aiming after a species the locals call Buffalo. I'm also liking the look of the "carp". They are beautiful fish and I'm interested in learning more about their captive care.

Suggestions?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Bigmouth buffalo may be difficult fish in captivity as they are filter-feeders, hence they are rarely caught on baited hooks or lures by the fishermen. These bigmouth buffalo do not do well in small ponds due to their diet.

Good news is there are two other species of buffalo that are not filter feeders. Smallmouth buffalo are detritivores like the common carps do while black buffalo prefers benthic organisms such as clams, snails etc just like suckers do. Bad news, they prefer clear waters.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Carp are awesome to catch. Do it every year when they spawn in shallow water. Slay them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You are so lucky, here in nj it's bluegill, pumpkinseeds, largemouth bass, catfish, and minnows
I think you need take a closer look at the fishes in your area.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Monsterfishkeepr99 listen to Rebel. I spent 3 months working with Corning Coopertive Learning in NJ. There are perch, carp, american eels, pike, musky and much more. This is only freshwater. If you look at marine fish you have some of the best sharks in the world.

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
Bigmouth buffalo may be difficult fish in captivity as they are filter-feeders, hence they are rarely caught on baited hooks or lures by the fishermen. These bigmouth buffalo do not do well in small ponds due to their diet.

Good news is there are two other species of buffalo that are not filter feeders. Smallmouth buffalo are detritivores like the common carps do while black buffalo prefers benthic organisms such as clams, snails etc just like suckers do. Bad news, they prefer clear waters.
Would they do better in a large aquarium with some heavy duty filtration. Getting the fish is no problem at the spillway. The fish are usually considered trash fish, still not positive if the fish im seeing is a carp or Buffalo. Some if them are giants. The really just resemble gigantic dark common goldfish but beautiful.

Rokuzachi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Oregon
Y'all making me want to go fishing! Haven't been in years. I'll have to look up some good places around Austin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store