Bug bites anyone? New fish food

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Was hoping to get it in today but instead....

Just got the lame Amazon response:

Hello,

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"BUG BITES Cichlid med-lg Fish 3.5 oz 100 g 16581 A6581 Nutrafin"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days.

If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Was hoping to get it in today but instead....

Just got the lame Amazon response:

Hello,

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"BUG BITES Cichlid med-lg Fish 3.5 oz 100 g 16581 A6581 Nutrafin"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days.

If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers.
Dang it. That is lame. Sorry to hear. Perhaps people are going BUGHOUSE over the new product. :p

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Well after getting left high and dry by Amazon because the seller ran out, I started looking and it seems that Petsmart may eventually carry the product but currently not in stock to me locally.

I did find it at another store and bought the pleco and cichlid formulas to try. The tracking says it was delivered today. So hopefully the fish like it! Will get some pics when I can.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Here it is

The pleco formula sank very quickly. The cichlid formula was floating for a while... it did not stay around long enough to see how long it floats since the fish ate it so quickly. The pleco sticks were a little confusing to them so they sat for a minute before Porkchop figured out they were food. The pleco sticks seem to be the perfect choice for bichirs, if I can get them down to them. :)

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Where did you get them?
A store in my neck of the woods called Aquarium Co-Op. They are in Edmonds, WA and they have a website you can order from. Pricing was actually better than Amazon in my case.
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/fluval

I put items in the cart and set up an account but did not buy and then they sent me an 'incentive' coupon for 5% off so I ordered it.

Reactions: clm08k and magpie

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This food isn't exactly new, it's been on the market for over a year. I started feed trials with it last year. Probably just took a while to reach parts of the USA. Someone PM's me about this food yesterday, so I'll add on here for anyone else interested.

Pros

1. all species of fish readily eat it, except one, my adult midas. He prefers anything but, the bugs. I would expect most polys to eat it without too much issue. I suspect the high fat level adds to the taste/smell.

2. A sustainable & novel form of protein is used.

Cons

1. Protein is not just from fly larvae, they also include some form of salmon, fish protein concentrate, and peas. I would have preferred to not see terrestrial plant matter (peas) being utilized as protein (might as well be soybeans), or fish protein concentrate, and would have preferred to see a LOT more fly larvae meal.

2. It's a high energy food with a minimum of 12.5% crude fat, which means the average fat level, or typical analysis, would be closer to 15%. IMO that's far too high for most tropical fish to consume as a daily staple. Especially species of fish that don't expend a lot of energy in an aquarium.

2. No aquatic plant matter. None. No spirulina, no kelp, no form of algae or seaweed. Even fish classified as strict carnivores in nature typically consume some aquatic plant matter via the guts of their prey. I personally like to see aquatic plant matter in all formulas of fish food. The lack of this is a big negative in my book.

3. Potato - why? If the company was more specific one would know, but without further details it could be used as another terrestrial based protein (potato protein concentrate) or as a binding agent (potato starch). Who knows? Either way, no thanks to feeding potatoes to carnivores - the wheat in this formula should suffice as a binding agent.

If combined (peas/potato/wheat) the inclusion rate of terrestrial based plant matter in this formula might be alarming.

BTW - I would not count on EQ levels being low just because insect larvae meal is used as one of the main protein sources. The company might share that info with you, or not? Probably not, as most manufacturers probably don't test their final formulations as there is no requirement to do so.

Due to the higher protein, and high fat levels, this formula would probably work well as a conditioning food for fish getting ready to spawn, but due to the reasons listed above I would not feed as a daily staple, to polys, or anything else.

Just my Canadian 2 cents worth .....

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
I dont like the Fish Protein Concentrate as one of the ingredients. I think it does say somewhere that 40% of it is made up of insect protein so it does show as the first ingredient followed by salmon. You would think that the Ethoxyquin levels would be much lower in this food since the insects are the primary protein. Anyway I am trying the M/L cichlid pellet which is like 5-7mm and supposed to be a slow sinking.
http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/freshwater/fish-nutrition/series/bug-bites/

Concentrated fish protein they use apparently is a liquid extract that offers a more complete amino acid profile beneficial to fish...think it's true or just rewording byproducts/waste to sound good?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store