Bug ID?

ShamFish97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2019
Hey all,
I found this bug in my tank this morning. What is it? Should I be concerned? I know i should probably get mesh lids.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are a number of moths with aquatic pupae that look similar, could be one, they've slightly even as pupae, and are found among plants.
Aquatic Moth | EcoSparkhttps://www.ecospark.ca/aquatic-moth
there are plenty of others like dragonfly or damselfly nymphs that easily ride in on plants, although that doesn't;t appear to be what yours is, this was eating fry in my tank until I noticed it

ShamFish97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2019
duanes duanes K krichardson

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Krichardson, with the new more in focus shot, it does look like one of the species of Caddisfly larvae.
There are many, many different species, depending on location, and adults commonly lay eggs in and on plants.
Since many aquatic aquarium plants are raised in outdoor areas, having one show up should be no surprise.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I agree with Krichardson, with the new more in focus shot, it does look like one of the species of Caddisfly larvae.
There are many, many different species, depending on location, and adults commonly lay eggs in and on plants.
Since many aquatic aquarium plants are raised in outdoor areas, having one show up should be no surprise.
Some of them look pretty bizzare with tiny pebbles,stones and whatnot attached to their protective tubes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store