Building My 15,000 Gallon Mini Mega Tank

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
The 15k allows a person to get closer to the fish.

The 52k has its own charm in that fish can be out of sight for months or even years. So when you see a species after such a long time it is exciting.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
IMG_4373.JPG
Here is a young midas cichlid born in the 15k. I have 3 spawns today where parents are herding their shoal of babies in the tank.

The one in the picture needs to get out of the open water or the dorado will pick it off and eat it.

IMG_4373.JPG

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Wow, those wide bar silver dollars (myleus schomburgkii) look huge! How big would you say they are? I've been having trouble getting a max adult size on these guys.
The oldest ones are 15 years in the tank and are 12 1/2" to about 14" total length. One female died that was not the biggest in 2011 and she measured 13 1/4" total length.

I have a few younger ones that are 11 to 11 3/4" also in the tank.

JO217

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
LOS ANGELES
yes this is a heck of an investment and it must kill the resell value hahaha but like most people in here i love to see these kinds of projects it really inspires creativity and passion for our beloved fish

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
its the 3rd picture down on post #397
That's a Distichodus sexfasciatus.

If you have a young one the colours will be stunning. As the fish ages the colours fade. The adult fish can be aggressive in small tanks. In this tank the fish is not too bad but it will chase on occasion even the Boulengerchromis microlepis.

What size tank do you keep yours in?

domingos.44

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
cambridge on
That's a Distichodus sexfasciatus.

If you have a young one the colours will be stunning. As the fish ages the colours fade. The adult fish can be aggressive in small tanks. In this tank the fish is not too bad but it will chase on occasion even the Boulengerchromis microlepis.

What size tank do you keep yours in?
ok thank-you good to know what you have in your tank, hes about 14 inch and yes his colours are seemed to be faded, hes doesnt bug his tank mates though hes in a 180 gallon with 2 larger aro's and a oscar

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store