Building tank in office

JumboShrimp

Feeder Fish
Nov 13, 2017
I'm working on a tank in my business's conference room. I have about 11 feet that I can run, the full vertical wall to use, and about 3 feet I can go out.

I'm planning a plywood build - lots of 2X4 braces, fiberglass seal, and glass front. From what I've read so far, I'm best off limiting the glass to 8 feet long and 3 feet high. The length isn't too bad - by the time I build tank walls and support for the front glass, I'm likely losing less than a foot, so I'll just have a bit more hidden behind the 2x4s up front and still fill the wall length wise. I would prefer to go up to about 4 feet high if anyone can offer a good, safe way to do that. My research suggests 3/4" thickness is good, even without tempering. I'm planning on high clarity 3/4" tempered to be extra safe. (Yes, I'm an over builder!) Would going to 1" allow my extra foot of height?

Your thoughts on this build would be very welcomed.

Then, it is intended to be salt water - sharks, rays, and jumbo fish. I'll put a sump with primary filtration underneath, but also have a room behind where I plan to build a giant protein skimmer. Further ideas for building in the overflow and addressing salt in this setting are even more important than the above.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I'm working on a tank in my business's conference room. I have about 11 feet that I can run, the full vertical wall to use, and about 3 feet I can go out.

I'm planning a plywood build - lots of 2X4 braces, fiberglass seal, and glass front. From what I've read so far, I'm best off limiting the glass to 8 feet long and 3 feet high. The length isn't too bad - by the time I build tank walls and support for the front glass, I'm likely losing less than a foot, so I'll just have a bit more hidden behind the 2x4s up front and still fill the wall length wise. I would prefer to go up to about 4 feet high if anyone can offer a good, safe way to do that. My research suggests 3/4" thickness is good, even without tempering. I'm planning on high clarity 3/4" tempered to be extra safe. (Yes, I'm an over builder!) Would going to 1" allow my extra foot of height?

Your thoughts on this build would be very welcomed.

Then, it is intended to be salt water - sharks, rays, and jumbo fish. I'll put a sump with primary filtration underneath, but also have a room behind where I plan to build a giant protein skimmer. Further ideas for building in the overflow and addressing salt in this setting are even more important than the above.
First off I wouldn’t really build something for a company. Water damage could suck and the new you get blamed/charged.

Honestly I think it’s better off getting a tank made through a bigger company as they should have some warranty and insurance

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco

I get 24 mm glass thickness for a 3 foot high, unstrengthened glass window; 18 mm (3/4") would imo be risky in this situation and could be an issue if anything goes awry since it may raise the issue of negligence.

And I would suggest getting a signed, legal waiver for any water damage or injuries due to the work unless you have business insurance. Even if you do nothing wrong, if anything happens, you may find yourself on the wrong side of an expensive lawsuit.

I agree with M@T!@$ M@T!@$ that I'd just buy the tank and reduce my exposure.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Whats your budget for this thing?

What state/country are you in?

JumboShrimp

Feeder Fish
Nov 13, 2017
Sorry, I've been too busy at work. The business is mine, so the liability is no concern there.

Budget is hard to define. I *could* probably buy a monster glass tank, but I probably wouldn't be doing it then just due to the expense. It is fairly broad, though.

I'm in Texas, USA. I already have the wooden frame built out now, so I'm "stuck" with a window of 8' X 3', but I'm already really liking it, too. I know, you want pictures. I'll get them up when I have some more time.

My one major mistake I've discovered is that it is build into the end of the room so completely that I'm going to have to have an employee climb in to secure the glass in place, then climb out between braces above. (I'm not as skinny or agile as I once was!) I was really hoping to have all of that responsibility be my own, and nobody elses. Oh, well. Teach 3 times and install once will hopefully get it done okay.

JumboShrimp

Feeder Fish
Nov 13, 2017
I get 24 mm glass thickness for a 3 foot high, unstrengthened glass window; 18 mm (3/4") would imo be risky in this situation and could be an issue if anything goes awry since it may raise the issue of negligence.
Good to know. I was insisting on tempered to be sure anyway. If I can't find that, I'll then bump up to the 1" to be extra sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store