bullhead?

Fishcrunch

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2009
Texas
I have a 75 gallon with a oscar and 3 BPs, and i was wondering if i have enough room for a species of bullhead. I can't seem to find any in down here in Texas, but in Illinois they don't seem to reach a large size at all.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
A bullhead would do fine in a 75. Be aware there are several species of bullheads; the larger widespread ones (white cats and brown, black, and yellow bullheads) reach 16-24" depending on species and can be aggressive. The smaller Deep Southern ones (spotted, snail, and flat bullheads) are seldom more than a foot long and seem to be more mellow. I recommend getting one of the smaller species for that tank.

Fishcrunch

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2009
Texas
Thank you for the info, do you know of any websites that have the smaller species in stock?

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
Not offhand. You could email Sachs (http://www.aquaculturestore.com/) and see when they might get some. Otherwise try the NANFA trading dock; there are several southerners there who may be able to catch the smaller species for you. It's a good idea to introduce yourself, ask some questions, and post in a few threads before you post a wanted ad.

Fishcrunch

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2009
Texas
Thanks guys.

Fishcrunch

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2009
Texas
Since i have some room left over in the tank, i do want a native, but im having trouble choosing. Aquaculture has warmouths, but i think they might be too agressive for the parrots. In a few days im going camping at Lake Buchanan in Burnet,Texas. I might as well check and see if there are any smaller bullhead species present.

Fishcrunch

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2009
Texas
Will do.:thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store