Burbot!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
There ya go; how's that? No "guess what's in the bag?" nonsense, just come right out and say it: burbot.

I'm a fan of native fish in the aquarium; my only previous experience with Burbot was with a couple that I hand-caught as 4-inch youngsters in the shallows of a crystal-clear northern Ontario lake and kept for a couple years indoors, before losing them to some backyard predator after moving them outside. I've thought about them many times since then, but they are not a fish I regularly encounter and nothing has come of it. But I never go fishing without emergency bring-'em-back-alive supplies in the truck, just in case...

...and I finally had a case! All of yesterday spent icefishing resulted in a couple nice eating-size Walleyes, a few other assorted fish...and, at day's end, an absolutely beautiful Burbot of roughly 12 inches length. When it came through the ice, I went into full fish-nerd mode, amusing my fishing partner as I dashed around filling a couple plastic pails with icy lake water and rushing the fish to the truck. I dashed off home, 30 minutes away, leaving my buddy sitting alone in the middle of a frozen lake in the dark, surrounded by all of his gear and most of mine.

I had a plastic tub of roughly 80-100gallons capacity sitting waiting, but of course it was empty; it needed to be filled with the coldest well water I could provide, and then further cooled with snow to bring it down to the 35F temperature of the water I brought back with the fish. I added about 20gallons of lakewater, and then floated the fish in its travel container, equipped with an airstone, while slowly mix-acclimating it for about an hour. It was clearly stressed and I was worried.

I have done a mid-winter collection like this several times, always with common fish that I am ashamed to admit were guinea pigs for testing my techniques. It's worked well, and catfish, rock bass, sunfish and a few assorted smaller species have acclimated without incident...but this time I wasn't experimenting or playing around; I was as serious as a heart attack. Fortunately, the Burbot had come from only 12 feet of water; the few I have caught in past years have all been deep-water fish which would have complicated this procedure probably beyond my willingness to attempt it. Additionally, the water parameters tested very close or identical to my well water in terms of pH (7.5) and hardness (300+ ppm). Aside from the stress of capture, hooking, handling and transport, the main issue that concerned me was temperature shock.

The water temperature rose gradually overnight; the tub is on the concrete floor in my basement, which is cool, so heating up was as gradual as possible, and I went out several times during the night in my PJ's to bring in a few shovelfuls of snow to moderate the temperature increase. By 9 this morning, the temp was approximately 40F, and will only come up another 10 degrees or so before levelling off. I plan on adding more snow today, and hope to hit 50F (that's as high as a container of water on the floor will go) sometime late tonight. The fish looks much better this morning, better colour and generally less visible signs of stress. So far, so good.

I chuckle when I think of a recent post here on MFK in which a member stated that he planned to "gradually" drop his tank temperature from 78F...to 77F! :)

My plan is to keep the fish in this container, with high aeration and the addition of a matured sponge filter, for at least a few more days. At that point he will be moved into a 70-gallon unheated tank on a stand which will sit at roughly 55F, and if all goes well, he will be installed in the 360, at that same temperature, by the end of March. Temperatures by the middle of summer will likely top out at 65F or a bit less.

Sorry, I took no pics yet; when I have stuff to do I rarely consider stopping to take snapshots. Nothing to see anyway; a fish in a dark tub of water in a darkened room doesn't display well, and I don't intend to turn on the lights unnecessarily for now. When he's behind glass in a tank, I will get some pics; or, worse coming to worst, I will take a shot of the cadaver.

In case it isn't obvious by now: I am as seriously invested in keeping this fish alive as any I have ever owned...ever. I will definitely follow up on this post, good or bad; fingers are crossed.

And, yes, before anyone asks...after I did what was needed at home, I raced back to the lake to help my buddy pack up his gear. He had actually hooked another Burbot after I left, roughly twice the size of the first, but lost it right at the surface. He had caught one before in his entire life...and then hooked two on the same evening. He was excited...perhaps even excited...but I was, and am, EXCITED!!! :)

Last edited:

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
There ya go; how's that? No "guess what's in the bag?" nonsense, just come right out and say it: burbot.

I'm a fan of native fish in the aquarium; my only previous experience with Burbot was with a couple that I hand-caught as 4-inch youngsters in the shallows of a crystal-clear northern Ontario lake and kept for a couple years indoors, before losing them to some backyard predator after moving them outside. I've thought about them many times since then, but they are not a fish I regularly encounter and nothing has come of it. But I never go fishing without emergency bring-'em-back-alive supplies in the truck, just in case...

...and I finally had a case! All of yesterday spent icefishing resulted in a couple nice eating-size Walleyes, a few other assorted fish...and, at day's end, an absolutely beautiful Burbot of roughly 12 inches length. When it came through the ice, I went into full fish-nerd mode, amusing my fishing partner as I dashed around filling a couple plastic pails with icy lake water and rushing the fish to the truck. I dashed off home, 30 minutes away, leaving my buddy sitting alone in the middle of a frozen lake in the dark, surrounded by all of his gear and most of mine.

I had a plastic tub of roughly 80-100gallons capacity sitting waiting, but of course it was empty; it needed to be filled with the coldest well water I could provide, and then further cooled with snow to bring it down to the 35F temperature of the water I brought back with the fish. I added about 20gallons of lakewater, and then floated the fish in its travel container, equipped with an airstone, while slowly mix-acclimating it for about an hour. It was clearly stressed and I was worried.

I have done a mid-winter collection like this several times, always with common fish that I am ashamed to admit were guinea pigs for testing my techniques. It's worked well, and catfish, rock bass, sunfish and a few assorted smaller species have acclimated without incident...but this time I wasn't experimenting or playing around; I was as serious as a heart attack. Fortunately, the Burbot had come from only 12 feet of water; the few I have caught in past years have all been deep-water fish which would have complicated this procedure probably beyond my willingness to attempt it. Additionally, the water parameters tested very close or identical to my well water in terms of pH (7.5) and hardness (300+ ppm). Aside from the stress of capture, hooking, handling and transport, the main issue that concerned me was temperature shock.

The water temperature rose gradually overnight; the tub is on the concrete floor in my basement, which is cool, so heating up was as gradual as possible, and I went out several times during the night in my PJ's to bring in a few shovelfuls of snow to moderate the temperature increase. By 9 this morning, the temp was approximately 40F, and will only come up another 10 degrees or so before levelling off. I plan on adding more snow today, and hope to hit 50F (that's as high as a container of water on the floor will go) sometime late tonight. The fish looks much better this morning, better colour and generally less visible signs of stress. So far, so good.

I chuckle when I think of a recent post here on MFK in which a member stated that he planned to "gradually" drop his tank temperature from 78F...to 77F! :)

My plan is to keep the fish in this container, with high aeration and the addition of a matured sponge filter, for at least a few more days. At that point he will be moved into a 70-gallon unheated tank on a stand which will sit at roughly 55F, and if all goes well, he will be installed in the 360, at that same temperature, by the end of March. Temperatures by the middle of summer will likely top out at 65F or a bit less.

Sorry, I took no pics yet; when I have stuff to do I rarely consider stopping to take snapshots. Nothing to see anyway; a fish in a dark tub of water in a darkened room doesn't display well, and I don't intend to turn on the lights unnecessarily for now. When he's behind glass in a tank, I will get some pics; or, worse coming to worst, I will take a shot of the cadaver.

In case it isn't obvious by now: I am as seriously invested in keeping this fish alive as any I have ever owned...ever. I will definitely follow up on this post, good or bad; fingers are crossed.

And, yes, before anyone asks...after I did what was needed at home, I raced back to the lake to help my buddy pack up his gear. He had actually hooked another Burbot after I left, roughly twice the size of the first, but lost it right at the surface. He had caught one before in his entire life...and then hooked two on the same evening. He was excited...perhaps even excited...but I was, and am, EXCITED!!! :)
good luck.
level of difficulty for this fish 10/10.
they eat very poorly at 23 degrees and above...Also they are senstive to fungus diseases.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
good luck.
level of difficulty for this fish 10/10.
they eat very poorly at 23 degrees and above...Also they are senstive to fungus diseases.
I have heard similar sentiments from other sources as well. However, the two I had, back when I was in my 20's, were undemanding for a couple years indoors. Tricky but not impossible to wean onto prepared (gel) foods, but never a disease issue. Quite active, non-aggressive but with a strong predatory response to food items.

Mine were never exposed to anything much higher than 18C or so until going outside; unfortunately, they were quickly taken by predators and I don't know how they would have fared in the warmer outdoor summer temps.

This one is unlikely to ever see temps higher than 65F/18C so I remain guardedly hopeful.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

I would have left my friend too if I caught my favorite native the Rainbow Darter 😆
Can't wait to see a pic.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
In my country
I would need an expensive chiller for this fish.
Lol, in my homeland, I need a lot of equipment to keep fish and it's all expensive...but the term "chiller" never comes up...:)

I would have left my friend too if I caught my favorite native the Rainbow Darter 😆
Can't wait to see a pic.
Full disclosure: I didn't catch it, he did. I sent him a progress report this morning about it, listing all the nice little details about shoveling snow in PJ's, etc. and he responded with "I want my fish back!"

He's not an aquarist, so...no. Just...no. :)

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
40-hour update. That's how long it has been since this fish came up through a hole in the ice. Water temperature in the tub is currently 49F; I added snow to the container a few more times since my last post; the snow is simply heaped onto a screen that spans the top of the tub, so that as it melts it gradually drips into the water to avoid sudden temperature swings. This method seems to work well to slow down the rate at which the temperature rises to ambient levels, but that's done now; it's now at the same temperature as a "control pail" of water sitting there on the floor next to the tub. Temperature was increased by approximately 14-15 Celsius degrees over a period of 40 hours; not really as harsh or abrupt as it seemed at first.

The fish appears in much better colour than when I brought it home; breathing is even and unlaboured, swims and holds itself well. I'm not familiar with typical colouration vs. "stress" colouration in the species, but I think it looks good. The colour is a very attractive base of light greenish-tan, not nearly the dark brown seen on some small specimens in aquaria, but this fish is about a foot in length so is likely showing full adult colours and patterns. It shows the mottled/marbled patterning that I have seen on all other Burbot I have caught while angling, but somewhat lighter in tone, and much more green and less brown than those fish. It is currently in a very dark container, with just enough light to see; I suspect that when it is exposed to a more normal day/night cycle it may darken somewhat.

I've installed a mature sponge filter in the tub with it, and ammonia is still undetectable. I won't be offering food until it moves into an aquarium later this week. The body structure is very plump and solid, not emaciated at all; a bit of a fast is no concern and should help with water quality in the interim.

Boring read, I know; I am posting this largely because it gives me a record I can easily refer to if needed later. :)

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Fascinating read John, and I wish you all the best in fully acclimatising it and keeping it alive long term, though you might need an upgrade if you're successful!!! Yikes, they grow into a right lump. Apparently this is the world record burbot!FMQ7ZSVHKF7ZLA7WO2UZ4SUAW4.JPG

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, they get big all right. Bear in mind that the young fellow in the pic is obviously an accomplished angler who is well-versed in the art of fish-holding and wide-angle-lenses...either that or he is also the record-holder for world's biggest fingers...:) I've never caught one nearly that size, but a fair number were in the 24-30 inch size range.

Of course, "fair number" is a relative term. Burbot is not a fish we ever specifically target (although some fishermen do...), and catching one has always been a bit of an event. I doubt that I and my immediate group of cronies have ever landed more than a handful in any given year; to quote one of those guys: "Even when there's a lot of 'em, there aren't many of 'em!" :)

I thought I would see and catch more since moving to Manitoba than I did back in Ontario, but it hasn't worked out that way; probably fishing a bit less now, and certainly don't know the local tricks of the trade as well as I did back then and there.

One of the exciting things about this fish, at least to me, is the fact that it's still small enough to be easily housed, but large enough to hopefully be past its most fragile stage. The two little ones I once had spent several days in an unaerated bait bucket before coming home and doing quite well, although they were caught from much warmer water in late spring. This one came out of a frozen lake...but was in my basement within an hour, in conditions that I worked hard to control...and I was as prepared as one can reasonably be to bring it home, rather than just scrambling around looking for a spare bucket while the fish dries out and chokes on the ice.

Honestly...just look at that above pic. What a fish! Snakeheads, Pike Cichlids and Wolffish have nothing on this species, IMHO.

Reactions: RD. and esoxlucius
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store