Butterfly Asian Arowana

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
I don't care for that. It's cool to look at but I wouldn't want to keep it.
It looks like a huge betta. Not my thing.

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
Saw another one of these on insta today,
http://instagr.am/p/CAax4XnJCcX/ This one looks better to me.

On the contrary, it is not the fact that they do not appear in the wild because many beautiful normal-looking fish such as longfin bristlenose, Barb's and tetras look spectacular and don't appear in the wild. It was just because the 2 different "Betta fins", the caudal and pectoral, were drastically different colours as well as size and not fitting in with the size of the body. Maybe when that arowana is full grown, the fins would match. I love normal Asian aros as well.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
?
Definitely not my thing. I hate all the "long fin" varieties of things. Long fin Oscars get me the worst though.
I hate most too!
Super veil angels with PERFECT fins are nice though.
LFOs are awful.

Giwrgos1991

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Just a personal opinion. How is it natural? If this mutation were to occur in nature, that individual fry would be the first one caught and eaten and would never survive to adulthood. Natural selection, weeding out the individuals least suited to survive. Evolution in action.

Here, we have an individual fish hand selected by a breeder to survive, likely while its siblings would be culled. We have created a totally artificial situation in which a trait that would be the kiss of death in nature is instead a positive survival trait. Devolution in action. Some people, like myself, find it unappealing.

Edited to add: I totally agree with BIG-G on other "abominations" like Flowerhorns, Superfancy Goldfish, Parrots...and go so far as to include overly-bred critters like some Bulldogs or Persian Cats. Fish that can barely swim...cats that can barely breathe...dogs that need to be artificially inseminated because they can't...well, you get the picture. Ugh.
i think this is the most contradictory opinion...human is by himself a devolution...in nature you probably wouldn;t survive a day...but our civilization gives you the opportunity...why not give it to this arowana too? just saying!

p.s. i don't like this long fin variety too

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
While I like some longfin varieties (breed albino longfin bristlenose and zebra danios myself) I don't like these guys at all. I'd take my southern Saratoga, Scleropages leichardti any day, he just needs to hurry up and grow so he can go into the big tank.

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
67897292_2134780090155074_2494793906353340416_n.jpg

What a lot of people don't know is, that this isn't just something that naturally occurs and those fish get sold to hobbyists that want them, hell no, there is a market for such "deformities" and some breeders use hormones and such things to create more of them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store