Buying a larger fish?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
My concern exactly. Although it is Dan so I’m inclined to trust what’s he’s got.
Maybe I’ll email him and ask about the history. He makes it sound like he has more than one male in the 9-10 inch range.
Those 9-10” males from Dan may not have simply made the breeding stock cut from grow outs or males that female never chose or has a history of killing too many females.

you can always ask for a picture if you are 99% on buying the larger fish

Reactions: Matteus

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
As to taming a fish, however you want to look at it or interpret it, it's partly species, the individual fish, how comfortable they are in the tank, or just time and how you go about it. I've had wild Heros that within a couple of days of getting them are shaking their head at me to be fed, coming to the front of the tank when I walk by, etc. I've also had species that are skittish by nature eventually become quite tame over time.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Ya! A new experience that I can report on back to you guys!

I’d start with a group of young-uns but I think they’d be too hard on each other in a 4 foot 90.
What do ya think?
Im in the middle of growing out a group of six F1 trimacs and they are absolutely brutal with each other in my 90. Turned out one was female so that caused all kinds of turmoil until I removed her. Then with the five they were constantly at each other but the smallest was getting beat on by 4 other males constantly.
D9A83011-C0FB-499C-9C06-0D8797772E8C.png
I had multiple hiding spots, tall plants, sight breaks but at 4 1/2 to 5”, these guys all needed separate tanks. Ive raised out groups of red devil and midas and they weren’t as aggressive as the trimac.

I now have all six fish separated and and starting to heal them and going to start rehoming soon. My goal was just one male to keep but right now two are turning out to be quite the lookers.

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
Well I pulled the trigger on a 9” Trimac from Dan at COA.

AND my with was REALLY IMPRESSED that I had to pick him up at the Delta Airlines ticket counter. I think the comment was something like “mister moneybags” or something to that effect. Hahaha

So, I’ve had him since Tuesday and he still hasn’t had any interest in eating. I figured it may take him awhile to settle in and get comfortable. When should I start to get concerned about not eating?

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
I've had a 7" Tinfoil barb not eat for about 8-10 days cause it's tank sprung a leak and I had lowered the water to about 40% . It got a little thin at the belly but not a big deal he's nice and plump now just after 3 days of regular feed.
A 9 " Trimac should be good for atleast a week. But keep trying your best. Try some garlic soaked pellets at night maybe just after the lights go off.
GL ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It usually takes larger fish longer to become comfortable in new surroundings, and adjust to the trauma of being shipped.
There are all kinds of factors.
New tank size (Was it in a pond? a 300 gallon tank and now in something half that size?).
Decor. etc etc
I've had older fish "not" eat for a month when moved

Reactions: Matteus

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
Thanks guys. That makes me feel better.

I think I see progress. I noticed this morning he came down to the end of the tank to check me out while I was making coffee. Up until now he’s always chosen the opposite end of the tank from where he saw us.

And on a side note; I was bummed when I noticed while placing him in the tank that he had two deep splits in his tail. I was praying it happened during his trip but wasn’t holding out much hope. As of this morning the splits are almost entirely healed. As long as I’ve been keeping fish I’ve never seen such a dramatic improvement. He’s gonna be a cool fish. I just hope he’s not a biter! LOL I’ll post some pictures once he’s totally relaxed and not so dark from stress.

In the mean time I think I’ll go buy some garlic!

Reactions: ..puSkar..

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
He's coming around!
I cut up a 10" clay pot for him to retire to when he feels stressed and he's now using it less and less.
You can also see his "dog dish" in the picture. He won't eat from the surface and while the pellets are sinking he just watches them disappear into the gravel.
My wife had the idea of adding the plate. I just place some pellets on the plate and he takes his good 'ol time eating them. But he IS EATING!
He's like feeding a dog! LOL

IMG_8800.JPG

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
I need some advice gang.

My new Trimac was continuing to get more and more comfortable and eating great then a couple of days ago everything changed.

He started MAJOR cowering in the top corner of the tank. He seems to be a nervous wreck. When you walk up to the tank he darts around like a pinball hitting all sides of the tank. I’m afraid he’s going to kill himself when he hits the acrylic so hard.

I’ve never seen a fish settle in so nicely and then have such a major relapse.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store