Buying a silver arowana

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The CL's are between 5"-12", by them time the silver is big enough to eat them he will be transferred to my 7ft tank!

The 8" cb aro is now sold

The lfs had a big shipment from Colombia and said this batch of silver arowanas are wild caught, which I do believe and have to trust them as they are very reputable

I was more concerned that the frail 3" silver arowana would not settle in the 6ft tank as it maybe too big for a grow out tank. I do have another 3ft tank but it's hassle to setup to grow them out for just a few months

Any possible way you could add a divider to separate a section of the aquarium until baby Aro got bigger.

Chaos32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Singapore / Malaysia
My intention was when they are around 12"+ to choose the one with less servere/no drop eye and also see which one has the best body shape
Hatching your bets is a good idea but you have to be prepared that there might be no ideal fish given the battle scars etc.

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Hatching your bets is a good idea but you have to be prepared that there might be no ideal fish given the battle scars etc.
Very true....I was hoping that wouldn't happen as they are in a 6ft tank! I've seen battle scars with a few aros in a 2-3ft tank at lfs.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My intention was when they are around 12"+ to choose the one with less servere/no drop eye and also see which one has the best body shape
On the one hand,that is not such a bad idea what with dropeye being an issue with silvers.There is nothing to assure that the aro you'd be left with would not get the affliction later on at sone point.

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
On the one hand,that is not such a bad idea what with dropeye being an issue with silvers.There is nothing to assure that the aro you'd be left with would not get the affliction later on at sone point.
Your right it probably would, 99% of silvers have de! It's just a case of how extreme the de is! I've had a red and gold Asian aro but not had a silver and I really like them!

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Picked up 3x baby silvers today! So small probably 3" max! 4 hours later in my tank 2 out of the 3 is already taking Hikari food sticks! One hides behind the filter pipe, one lives he current and stays by it the last one paces from one side of the tank to the other! Here's a pic inside the shop!

IMG_9793.JPG

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Guys, how often do would you feed a baby silver arowana? At the moment I'm feeding 3 time a day and each times it takes 2x Hikari Food Sticks. Is this good or is it better to eat 2 times a day?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Guys, how often do would you feed a baby silver arowana? At the moment I'm feeding 3 time a day and each times it takes 2x Hikari Food Sticks. Is this good or is it better to eat 2 times a day?

If you are feeding 3 I personally would stick with the 3 feedings to insure all are eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store