Buying first LARGE tank for 2nd floor apartment would a 150-gallon be safe?

fwiffo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
USA
well, ive heard from posters on aqauriumadvice.com, tropical fish forums (or soemthing like that- it s a brit site) and a few others. scary stuff, if true. but i want to be safe than sorry, especially as i have the mindset of a renter!

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
fwiffo;1824719; said:
this advice is not good. for that amount of weight and potential hazard, you need something to reinforce confidence in setting up the fish tank. read this article and consider it carefully:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html
Agreed!!! There are alot of variables before one can say that something is 100% safe!

dmed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, US
I would prefer to do it in an apartment over doing it in my own house. Of course, it probably won't splinter the joists and go crashing through the floor when you set it up, but it will very likely make a low spot in the floor, or worse, if left there long enough. Make sure you get renter's insurance.

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
Hey guys long time since the last update to this project...

Ordered the tank, stand, versa-top almost 3 1/2 weeks ago...

Tank (150G long) came in perfect on 1st week, same for the versa-top.

The stand, a Classic Mission Series black came in a shaky with lots of loose bolts and dents... So had to wait another week for a 2nd stand order.

2nd week I'm ready to get to work on this tank, (gave up 7000 gallon koi pond) after moving from parents home, and moving out (best thing I ever did).

The stand came in SMASHED!, 3rd time in a row! Finally on the 4th week it came in fine..

Aprox-4 weeks later, tank is up and running! Took me almost a week with the help of friends to get this tank level up against a wall its filled and running.

Here is a quick picture right after setup, no fish, still cycling, no gravel, have it filtered heavy, going to try and raise 3-koi in it, with massive water changes.

Will update very soon with pics and filter specs.. Thanks for reading....

JLee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
MN
Damon0306;1900742; said:
Hey guys long time since the last update to this project...

Ordered the tank, stand, versa-top almost 3 1/2 weeks ago...

Tank (150G long) came in perfect on 1st week, same for the versa-top.

The stand, a Classic Mission Series black came in a shaky with lots of loose bolts and dents... So had to wait another week for a 2nd stand order.

2nd week I'm ready to get to work on this tank, (gave up 7000 gallon koi pond) after moving from parents home, and moving out (best thing I ever did).

The stand came in SMASHED!, 3rd time in a row! Finally on the 4th week it came in fine..

Aprox-4 weeks later, tank is up and running! Took me almost a week with the help of friends to get this tank level up against a wall its filled and running.

Here is a quick picture right after setup, no fish, still cycling, no gravel, have it filtered heavy, going to try and raise 3-koi in it, with massive water changes.

Will update very soon with pics and filter specs.. Thanks for reading....
Where?

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
are we supposed to use our imaginations?

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
Sorry forgot the pics! Here are 2 quick shots of the tank.

Running 3 Eheim 2078e's, 3 AquaClear 70 Powerheads, and 3 250-watt Stealth Heaters.

new150g.jpg

new150g2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store